got 16 more chicks...

mhopson19

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 6, 2014
Central Illinois
Well we went to TSC today to get some chicken wire and other things, and I walked over to check out the last few chicks they had. The manager was standing there and asked if I would take the last 10 bantams for $10. I was hesitant, and really didn't want that many bantams, but at that price, I decided I might as well take them. I walked away and got the chicken wire while the manager put them in the box, then took them home. When I got home I had 16 chicks in the box, not 10. I can't believe I have 16 more chicks! The plan was just to have 6 hens for eggs. Chickens are so addicting, I didn't think when I got my first set of 6 a little over a month ago that I would want any more than that. The bantams are so pretty though! And one of them have some feathers growing on its feet. They are such sweeties they let us pick them up and just sit in our hands and fall asleep.

here are some pics:

omg if you got Old English game bantams I will seriously die of jealousy right here and now! The one with feathered feet wouldn't be OEGB, but the others...maybe... *stares*

Are old english game bantams really good? Lol, I don't know anything about bantams. I didn't go in thinking I would come out with 16 of them, otherwise I probably would have researched it. I am just hoping they are not all roos.

Whether or not they're really good depends on what you're looking for in a chicken. One of my favorite chickens in our flock is an OEGB hen named Pipsqueak. She's a perfect, tiny bundle of personality and sass, and she loves to be held and cuddled. I finally found a rooster for her, and as soon as he's out of quarantine, I can start breeding her, but it's been nearly impossible for me to acquire more OEGB's otherwise.

She's been known to fly up and perch on visitors to demand a snuggle or treat. XD

that's cute! these chicks let us pick them up and hold them already and just fall asleep in our hands, they don't even scatter. at first I thought they were lethargic so I put some electrolyte water in and an hour later they were running around and eating and drinking so I stuck my hand back in and nope, still didn't scatter. They are sweeties, and I don't expect much from them, so whatever they are is fine with me. :) but I looked up OEGBs and the hatchery's prices and they are $4 each, so if they are I really got a deal at $0.62, LOL. although I am a bit in shock that I have 16 more chicks! I was just adjusting to the thought of 10 when I opened the box at home.

Hah, chicken math. Gotta love it! Question though: they won't eat as much as, say, an RIR, right? I assume not because they are so tiny, but just want to be sure.

Pipsqueak can put a surprising amount of food away, but I suspect she only becomes a bottomless pit when treats are involved. I don't see her spending a lot of time at the food dish.

Our biggest problem with her is that she's a total escape artist--she doesn't eat a lot of feed because she spends most of her time foraging outside of the run. I think she just likes making the other chickens jealous XD

Back
Top Bottom