Got 3 New Runner Girls Last Night...

Oh cute! I just got my first egg from my Indian Runner. But why do you clip their wings? Aren't Indian Runners flightless?

Quote:
that was me, I have Muscovy and they do fly.
smile.png

One of the new girls went into the guinea cage and got trapped a little but. I decided to go get her out and she freaked out when I came close. She tried to go thru the chicken wire and got her bill caught in there for a couple of seconds till I could get her out. It looks like the wire nicked her bill a tiny bit on the side. I think she will be ok, she was walking around moving her mouth like it bothered her for a short while, but now she seems better. It is hard to tell since I really cant get near them.

The other girls are still picking on them a little bit. They push the girls out of the way and nibble on them lightly with a shove. I suppose this is normal to establish the pecking order, however, how long will it continue for?

Quote:
hard to say on the pecking order, we have had our new ones a week and 2 days now and for the most part they do fine, my older ducks 3 girls that are over 7 they have learned to stay clear of they will grab them by the feathers if they get a chance. But they all seem to be doing very well thank goodness.
smile.png
if you could catch yours and had some veterycin spray you could spray that on her bill but she will probably be fine without it.

Quote:
Guineas are basically an African wild chicken (for lack of a better description). They are great foragers, they love to eat bugs (especially ticks, chiggers and crickets), and their meat and eggs are a delicacy in many parts of the world. The average adult Guinea will eat up to 1200 bugs a day. Also, they are one of the nosiest birds around and make great watchdogs. If something they don't know or feel threatened by comes into view, they will let you know about it. When my original 8 get going, they easily make more noise than my house alarm.. lol... There is a whole Guinea group on BYC you can visit if you want to learn more.
smile.png
Here is a link to a discussion that should answer your question from many different directions.
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=575848

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom