Got a new cat...(Update and Pictures!)

SarahFair

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Monroe, Ga
So about monday I got a kitten. I think its only 5 to 6 weeks old as it is very little and sucking on my chin and ear at night. The people got it out of the sewer infront of their house. She was very shy and timid but very sweet.
I got the big idea that another cat might be good for her.
Not.
At first she followed it around sniffing then started hissing. The new cat is about 5 months (i think) and just awsome! It is the cat everyone wants cause it sits in your lap and wants to be petted petted petted.
Vega (the kitten) is being SO nasty to EVERYTHING!
Shes doing that deep growl..you know before they hiss even at her toys when I play with her. When I go to pick her up shes "growling" and hissing at me.

I dont really know what to do at this point.
I didnt think a small kitten like that could be so nasty about another cat!

Last edited:
Yup, they can!
When you go to pick her up, you probably have the other kitty smell on you causing the hissing. Hopefully, being as young as she is, it will be a short adjustment phase to the new cat.
Good Luck!

Good luck with the cats. I hope she grows out of it. She could but it is possible she won't. Just keep an eye on them and be prepared to rehome one just in case.

When ever I introduce a new cat into the house they are seperated from all resident cats-disease control, new cats new smells. Then they are slowly introduced to each other. I like to use feliway a phermone that has a calming affect on cats, not 100 percent but it does help.
Luckily most of my cats are so use to kittens, cats coming and going. I have done hundreds of fosters through the years. that it goes pretty smoothly. Kittens adjust faster than adults, but don't try to push it. I still to this day have a couple cats that just tolerate each other.
Good luck,

When we were given our 'feral' kitten, she acted like she was ready to take my hand off when I reached to pick her up. I held her for an hour and a half (we were in the car coming home from another town where she was given to us) and by the next day she couldn't seem to remember how to hiss and spit at us. It took her a couple weeks before she was positive that the other cats and dogs weren't going to hurt her.

I'm guessing your kitten will get over it also, just give her time to adjust and figure out that no one is going to hurt her.

We really do need to see a picture of this kitty you know...
big_smile.png

When we were given our 'feral' kitten, she acted like she was ready to take my hand off when I reached to pick her up. I held her for an hour and a half (we were in the car coming home from another town where she was given to us) and by the next day she couldn't seem to remember how to hiss and spit at us.
big_smile.png
It took her a couple weeks before she was positive that the other cats and dogs weren't going to hurt her.

I'm guessing your kitten will get over it also, just give her time to adjust and figure out that no one is going to hurt her.

We really do need to see a picture of this kitty you know...
big_smile.png

Well heres and update for anyone who might happen to care lol

They are getting along a little bit better. Vega (the black one) still growls alot whenever the other is near but its ALOT better!
I took pictures for yall!
Enjoy!

DSCN2348.jpg

DSCN2349.jpg

DSCN2363.jpg

DSCN2360.jpg

DSCN2358.jpg

DSCN2364.jpg

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom