Got chicken stories?

I have a chicken story. Ok. So I only have three nest boxes. And I had 5 broody hens. So 4 hens are in pairs of two. 2 quit early. 21 days later Fawkes and Kat hatch a chick. Here's what's funny, Fawkes and Kat now raise the chick together :) neither one ever leaves his side.

OK here is a historical story that is part of my family lore. One branch of my family is Scotch-Irish. The Scotch meant they started in the lowlands of Scotland, then got resettled by the British into Ulster, then got tired of the Brits and immigrated in about 1725 through Charleston to to the frontier, what is now King's Mountain in North Carolina. Time passes and more neighbors arrive and the original group, who were all more-or-less related, began to feel crowded and started looking further west. They decided to move as a group to what is now Pope County, Arkansas, in the 1840s.

My direct ancestors, John and Sarah, were on this trek when they somehow lost all their chickens. Whether to a varmint (most likely) or whatever, this would be a serious blow to a pioneer family. Realistically, all they had for livestock while they were on the move was probably a crate of poultry, maybe a horse and some few cattle. Losing the chickens was no joke!

They passed another pioneer cabin along the way, and somehow bartered for some eggs. Apparently they couldn't get any chickens, but the eggs were fertile of course. But...But...they didn't have any broody hen to set the eggs (or any other hen for that matter!).

No problem...

Sarah, and probably some of the other women too, carried the fertile eggs in their (ahem) "bosoms" and what do you know? A few weeks later they had the start of another flock.

How is that for a family chicken story?? ;-)

OK here is a historical story that is part of my family lore. One branch of my family is Scotch-Irish. The Scotch meant they started in the lowlands of Scotland, then got resettled by the British into Ulster, then got tired of the Brits and immigrated in about 1725 through Charleston to to the frontier, what is now King's Mountain in North Carolina. Time passes and more neighbors arrive and the original group, who were all more-or-less related, began to feel crowded and started looking further west. They decided to move as a group to what is now Pope County, Arkansas, in the 1840s.

My direct ancestors, John and Sarah, were on this trek when they somehow lost all their chickens. Whether to a varmint (most likely) or whatever, this would be a serious blow to a pioneer family. Realistically, all they had for livestock while they were on the move was probably a crate of poultry, maybe a horse and some few cattle. Losing the chickens was no joke!

They passed another pioneer cabin along the way, and somehow bartered for some eggs. Apparently they couldn't get any chickens, but the eggs were fertile of course. But...But...they didn't have any broody hen to set the eggs (or any other hen for that matter!).

No problem...

Sarah, and probably some of the other women too, carried the fertile eggs in their (ahem) "bosoms" and what do you know? A few weeks later they had the start of another flock.

How is that for a family chicken story?? ;-)

kewl

I'm the chicken obsessed one in our house. We decided to get an incubator and hatch some of our girls eggs. I never expected them to actually HATCH. So one day i walk in the room to get something ( don't remember what) And i here noises coming from the 'bator and i look in it and There's AN ACTUAL BABY CHICK IN THERE. it was all dry and fluffy. As soon as i saw it I was so shocked i SCREAMED at the tom of my lungs and FAINTED FOR LIKE 10 SECONDS. So every body started running in there and saw me on the floor just staring at the fluffy miracle with my my jaw practically on the floor . And every body was like 'O MY GOSH' with their hands on there mouth while the chick was just chirping away like 'wow this is the welcome i get after all that work'. This was a long time ago and every time i think back on it i laugh my guts out. It was HILARIOUS!

I recently got chickens and one of my hens was in a nesting box. She was very fussy about making her nest just so. So later I see her out in the run again and go and try to find the egg. I can not so give up for then. When I go back in there to put them to bed I reach in the box it she was in and feel around beneath the shavings. Sure enough it was there. She has mostly make a pile of shaving on top of it. :) It took her at least 30 minutes to settle down before she laid the egg. Because her nest had to be perfect.

Back
Top Bottom