Got Hay??

equine chick

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 9, 2007
Volant Pa Lawrence County
I got my shipment of hay. We baled all day friday and yesterday at a good friends place. A good price at 3.25 bale of alfafa/timothy blend. We bought 500 bales and my neighbor bought 200. At least the horses are set for the winter, now to unload.

070611-hay.jpg

Seeing all those small squares waiting to be unloaded does NOT bring back pleasant memories!!! We use to do small squares, but switched to big round bales probably 25 years ago. Much easier on the back!!
smile.png

$30 dollars a bale!!!
ep.gif
...my god!...that is awful....why so expensive out there?....theres no grass..?
idunno.gif
....wendy

Oh the Hay chaf. Up your nose, in your clothes not to mention how your back feels after. I feel your pain.

Quote:
I have no idea. I buy alfalfa now because it's "only" $14.50 for 100lbs right now. Diesel is $5.30 a gallon and they can't grow that stuff around here, so it had to be trucked in.

That's an awesome price! Looks beautiful. We won't start haying around here for another month.....Gosh we are so far north.

That is the best feeling getting the barn full of good hay. I always feel relieved for some reason.

30 bucks a bale? For small square bales? Boy Ca is just such an expensive place to live. I am trying to calculate if we should turn our 200 acre farm into a hay farm......

I make round bales now because I hate bucking bales on/off trailers. It cuts way down on the labor required, including hay contact to my skin time.

The funny thing is in the PNW, at least west of the Cascades, I wouldn't dream of making hay prior to July 4th. We have to cut silage in the spring and wrap the bales, or mow early spring in order to time it for July hay cuttings. It is not simple here and the weather is forever being uncooperative!

Back
Top Bottom