Got Hay??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by equine chick, Jun 1, 2008.

1. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I got my shipment of hay. We baled all day friday and yesterday at a good friends place. A good price at 3.25 bale of alfafa/timothy blend. We bought 500 bales and my neighbor bought 200. At least the horses are set for the winter, now to unload.
    [​IMG]

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG]
    How many lbs is one bale? You got quite a deal! Timothy is almost $30 a bale out here! Have fun unloading all of that!

3. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    They are approx 50-60lb bales. Now for my aching back to unload all that.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Seeing all those small squares waiting to be unloaded does NOT bring back pleasant memories!!! We use to do small squares, but switched to big round bales probably 25 years ago. Much easier on the back!! [​IMG]

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    $30 dollars a bale!!![​IMG]...my god!...that is awful....why so expensive out there?....theres no grass..?[​IMG]....wendy

6. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Oh the Hay chaf. Up your nose, in your clothes not to mention how your back feels after. I feel your pain.

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:I have no idea. I buy alfalfa now because it's "only" $14.50 for 100lbs right now. Diesel is $5.30 a gallon and they can't grow that stuff around here, so it had to be trucked in.

8. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

That's an awesome price! Looks beautiful. We won't start haying around here for another month.....Gosh we are so far north.

That is the best feeling getting the barn full of good hay. I always feel relieved for some reason.

30 bucks a bale? For small square bales? Boy Ca is just such an expensive place to live. I am trying to calculate if we should turn our 200 acre farm into a hay farm......

9. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I make round bales now because I hate bucking bales on/off trailers. It cuts way down on the labor required, including hay contact to my skin time.

The funny thing is in the PNW, at least west of the Cascades, I wouldn't dream of making hay prior to July 4th. We have to cut silage in the spring and wrap the bales, or mow early spring in order to time it for July hay cuttings. It is not simple here and the weather is forever being uncooperative!

10. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    $20.75 for a bale of orchard grass here
    I'm guessing around 80lbs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by