Got my coop framed out, whew! **UPDATED 6/14- MOVING DAY TOMORROW! **

Wow, this is still getting noticed after 7 years. Thanks all. Currently it is housing 22 chickens and I still have 2 from my original flock 7 years ago.

It is 6x8 and I have housed up to 25 birds without any problems what-so-ever. Still have 2 birds from 7 years ago.

In the summer I run a small portable fan in one of the gable vents. Bought the fan in walmart for less than $15.00 and have been using it for years. It pulls the (cooler air at night) outside air in and you can feel the exhaust through the other gable vent. I also run a fan in the run (an old window fan that I have placed on the ground) when it gets above 90 degrees. The coop gable fan is on 24/7 from June through September.

I live in the southeast and our summers are brutal! The birds are in the shade almost all day. They love it under the coop too. Great free square footage there.

Occasionally when we flirt with 100 degrees I put a mister in the run along with the fan.

I have plenty of roost space inside the coop too.

Been at this for 7 years and I can tell what works and what doesn't. I have yet to repair or modify the coop after all these years. Original stain is on the coop and never had a rotten piece of wood or any leaks. We sell lots of eggs.

Does your 6x8 include the nest boxes?
How much roost length do you have?

Hows that poop board system working out......I like it....fan setup sounds good too.

Back
Top Bottom