Got my DE....and dusted the RIR's

justusnak

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Feb 28, 2007
South Eastern Indiana
Ok, so I got my DE....wow, this stuff is powdery! Im not sure how much to use....to "dust" the birds....so..I just grabbed one, and "dusted" Whatcha think?? too much??
lau.gif

PancakeJune07-1.jpg

ok,ok...so she is not a RIR...LOL This is Pancake. White leghorn/RIR mix. She lays nice brown eggs. So much for the white ear, white egg theory. LOL But really....how do you know if you are useing enough? I could not catch them...so we all had a great workout...me chaseing them in the yard...throwing handfulls of DE at them, hitting some, and the wind blowing MOST of it on me! Well.....the good point is...I WONT HAVE LICE! LOL

LOL, you crack me up, Deb! Hey, usually I use one of those Parmesan Cheese shaker cans and put the DE in there. I turn them upside down and shake it on their fanny and all around under their wings, if I can hold them that long. I want one of those old fashioned bath powder puffs, but can't find one to save my life.

I dusted mine yesterday I was wearing as much as they were! I took a kitty litter pan and poured some in it. I then just took each one and rolled them in it! And I mean rolled like I was flouring chicken to fry. They looked at me like I was some crazy person. Wish I could have gotten some pictures.

Oh my....so...I would have to catch each one by hand?? Ohhhhh....noooooo. I have 60 chickens!!! I think I will just opt for putting it in thier dusting areas, and feed. LOL

So you had me going for a sec. lol I see you have over 2000 posts. I thought you thought you had a RIR. I better go get more coffee. lol

Thanks for the morning laugh

Ann

ps my original thought when i seen the picture was ......... WHatttttt

lau.gif
Ha for a moment there I thought you had used way to much. I agree the stuff is like very fine powder. It is hard to spread it around. Someone suggested one of those things you use to apply dust to your garden. Don't know. I think the parmesan cheese thing looks like a great idea. I was thinking of using an empty baby powder bottle.

Specledhen, Have you looked at wal-mart. You may have to buy the powder to get the puff, but the powder is cheap. If that is the kind of puff you mean.

It's easier to dust them at night. I have a few girls that I can't get near at all during the day and sleepy time is the only time I can touch them.

Back
Top Bottom