Got my first chicks today!!!(pics) updated proud mama.

briana1975

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Carleton Mi.
Got a call at 9:30 this morning from the post office. Got my boys together and drove out to pick them up. They were all ok and peeping a lot. Got them home and put them in the brooder to get warm and drink some water. All did very well. Added the food a bit later. They swarmed it. Very funny. The tiny silkies hold ther own. The smallest silkie named Raindrop by my 6 year old it the loudest chick in the brooder and one of the most aggresive. Very funny to watch. We got 12 RIR packing peanuts. I am keeping on eye on them sense I ordered the more easy going breeds. The BR are very cute but my favorite are the Buff Orps. They are so fuzzy and fat. The biggest chicks in the brooder. Well here are the first pics I took. The dog is Buster. He has been waiting to have something to watch through the window of the brooder.
23535_04030910431.jpg

23535_04030910321.jpg

23535_0403091031a1.jpg

23535_04030910311.jpg

Not the best pics I took them with my cell phone. Sometimes I forget how to spell too.

Last edited:
Aww...i love how your pup is so curious, very cute...my pup is curious as well, and he gets right by the cage and puts a paw up and he whines lol

The brooder was 100% reuse recycle stuff. The crate is 3x3x3 almost. It was a shipping crate that my husband brought home from work. He also put a piece of plexiglass on the front for a window and framed a lid in with chicken wire we had left over and the paint was a $4.00 mistint gal at lowes, we had on hand from painting the kids tree house and fort. It turned out good. I was gonna use a cardboard box, but this is even better cause we can use it for a chicken hospital or a place for quaritien. Ok I can't spell. Thanks for checking out the cute chicks and all the great stuff I have learned from reading all the post here.

Ok. I just had to add some new pictures and ask some advice. Pasty butt, yeah I know it's on here a lot. I am just cleaning a lot of chicken butt that's what. lol. But one of the BR's is small almost as small as the Silkies. It has the worst of the pasty butt. I am cleaning her bottom like 4 to 5 times a day. She seems to not be doing the best. I have started putting chick feed in food processer to make it smaller. Trying to make sure she is drinking. Did the molasses in the water for 2 days. She will drink sometimes. Mostly sleeps or naps. Not scrathing or eating much of anything. So tonight I did some more searches and decided to trim up some chicken butts. I used to be a cosmotologist so I thought this quite funny. I trimmed the silkies because they get a little sticky poo sometimes, not pasty butt, just yuck. I used a little A&D ointment to grease things up a little also. Anyways back to the BR. Washed her up due to more pasting, blow dried her, and gave her a little cooked egg yolk. She wouldn't take any at first so gentley forced some down her. She decided she liked it and starting pecking the rest from my hand. Then she pooped on my leg. Regular looking poop. I was so happy to see that. After she had her fill I trimed her rear and put some A&D on her I put her back in brooder. I refuse to give up on her. I was up 4 times during the night to check on all of them and had to clean her bottom 2 times. I have 2 turkey poults in the other brooder 4 weeks old. They are supposed to be harder to raise and they are doing good so far. Keep your fingers crossed for me that she continues to do better. Thanks to you if you read all of this. Sorry for any misspelled words. Thanks for all the great information on this site. If there is anything else you think I should be doing for they little BR let me know. Hope you like the couple new pics I added too.
23535_0404091051a1.jpg

23535_04040910501.jpg

23535_04040910401.jpg

Back
Top Bottom