Got my first deer!...and my 2nd :)

sparkles2307

Terd of Hurtles
11 Years
Oct 23, 2008
Northwestern Minnesota
DH was out all morning, and when he came in for lunch I took the opportunity to leave the youngest with him and take my 5 yo with me to my "stand" (an old silo on our family's abandoned farmsite 6 mi from home) which faces about 120 acres of corn.
DS and I chatted and watched the rain come down. He was pointing out a pigeon feather on the floor to me, and when I looked back up there was this little guy standing about 30 ft from me. I steadied my breathing, took aim, and squeezed the trigger. And "CLICK" echoed in the silo...and the deer jerked his head up and looked right at me. Never saw me tho, he just grunted and went back to grazing. So, I popped the bolt open and closed it, thinking it would pick up a shell, and again it clicked and echoed in there... I was just about in tears, my eyes were welling up and I was shaking. I didnt know WHY it wasnt firing, I thought it was broken, and I came -><- this close to hollering at him to spare myself the frustration of watching him and not being able to shoot. But I gave it one last try, manually loaded a shell, and balsted him in the ribcage, shredded his lungs, and he never took another step. I made the rookie mistake of closing my eyes after I sighted him in, so I didnt see him drop. When I opened my eyes and he was gone I was so mad. I didnt even know what direction he had gone in to begin looking for him. Then my 5yo says "well are going to go look at him or NOT mom?" so at least one of us saw the great shot. He was just as excited as I was, we bounced around while we waited for Dh to arrive to help me drag it out and dress it. Not very big, but as I like to joke, you cant find a whitetail much bigger
wink.png
(I'm used to Co and WY mulies, no comparison). DH was impressed that I did it alone while he was eating pizza with the little one. I told him, I hit what I aim at!
17526_nov2009_007.jpeg

17526_nov2009_005.jpg

Last edited:
That's Awesome!!! And unless your 4' tall, that deer looks to be a nice healthy body size. I don't shoot older deer though, taste too gamey. Looks like you got yourself a nice 2 year old
smile.png

Trust me, it doesn't matter how big your first deer is, you'll always remember it! Congratulations, and thanks for showing the young'n an appreciation for hunting. Our youth is the future- and it is so important for them to respect nature and the outdoors.

Congrats!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I also think I did the local herd a favor by taking his stupidity out, I gave that fella every opportunity to run, what with my noisy monkeying around to get a shell in (NOT a quiet endeavor) and he never did so must not have been too smart.

And Boyd, I am 5'8" and he is a very healthy sized 2 yr old buck for sure.
smile.png

Quote:
I also think I did the local herd a favor by taking his stupidity out, I gave that fella every opportunity to run, what with my noisy monkeying around to get a shell in (NOT a quiet endeavor) and he never did so must not have been too smart.

And Boyd, I am 5'8" and he is a very healthy sized 2 yr old buck for sure.
smile.png

Lots of nice venison for dinner
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom