Got my first egg...now I have questions.

ellie_may12

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 31, 2009
St Tammany
WooHoo! I got my first egg on Thursday. I have been getting one about every other day now. Is that normal?

Is it normal for only one pullet to start laying even if they are all the same age? Actually, I have five 20 week olds, four 17 week olds and a 16 week old.

Also, how do you figure out who to thank for the eggs? I think that it is "Gravy". She is the biggest barred rock with the biggest/reddest comb and waddles and bosses all the other girls around. But several other of the older girls are doing the stop and squat.

Anyway, sorry for all the newbie questions. Thanks!

Yeah its normal.My 10 black giants all sit onone nest even though i have 9 others and i will find almost 20 eggs.Im a newbie too.
welcome-byc.gif

Yeah, it's normal for them to start laying at different ages. They each have their own individual bioglogical clock, as it were. lol

You'll just have to catch them in the act to be sure who the layer is.

Thanks for the info!

Hopefully a couple of other girls will start soon too. I have never seen a yolk so yellow as the ones my girls lay! I guess it is because they get a handful of scratch and spend several hours a day eating bugs in my yard.

They really are amazing creatures.

Back
Top Bottom