Got my first egg today!! I have questions though.

Is there a way to thicken the shell through diet?
Oyster shell free choice and layer feed are the ways to increase calcium through diet, but I wouldn't worry unless you are actually seeing soft or delicate shells. Seeing the air cell through the shell does not indicate low calcium. I actually prefer to incubate eggs with exterior visible air cells because it's easier to monitor and I don't have bother candling them to check if the air cell is attached before putting them in the incubator. I have good hatches with them which definitely would not be possible if they were too thin or bad eggs.

Oyster shell free choice and layer feed are the ways to increase calcium through diet, but I wouldn't worry unless you are actually seeing soft or delicate shells. Seeing the air cell through the shell does not indicate low calcium. I actually prefer to incubate eggs with exterior visible air cells because it's easier to monitor and I don't have bother candling them to check if the air cell is attached before putting them in the incubator. I have good hatches with them which definitely would not be possible if they were too thin or bad eggs.
Thank you!

983CF221-E498-4AF2-BA43-B08AA1B82C61.jpeg

Would y’all call these blue or green?

Back
Top Bottom