Got my first turkey eggs!! Any pointers?

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
Another BYC member was nice enough to send me 9 naragansett turkey eggs for shipping
celebrate.gif
This is my first time ever trying to hatch turkeys, and I'm a bit worried! Is there anything special that needs to be done?

I know they take the 'same temp and humidity' as chicken eggs, but what is that exactly? I was told that once for button quail eggs, and it wasn't specified that the 'same for chicken eggs' part meant the way chicken eggs should be done, not the dry method! I only hatched one
hmm.png
Once I started setting quail eggs with a constant 45%+ humidity, my hatch rates went way up!!

So, should turkey eggs have humidity in the high range, or is dry (35-45%) okay with them?

Do they need the same temps during hatch, or does it need to be lowered? (seems I read that somewhere)

Any pointers for a newbie turkey hatcher?
smile.png

Our temp runs at 99.5 to 100F. RH% in the 40's during incubation and high 50's to 60's after we stop turning. We don't lower the temp for hatching. One of our incubators runs just touch higher temp than the other (closer to 100F) so the eggs hatch late day 27 instead of 28 but it hasn't made any difference.

Steve in NC

Congratulations on getting your turkey eggs! I hope you'll keep us posted throughout, and especially with pics as they hatch!

I ordered some turkey eggs by mail recently... the shipper did an excellent job of packaging; sadly, the post office decided to play soccer with the box. It was caved in and smashed when I received it which scrambled all the beautiful eggs. I think I'm going to have to resort to buying feed store BBW's rather than the Bourbon Reds and Midget Whites I'd hoped for.

Good luck with your hatch... I hope the next 27/28 days pass quickly for you!
fl.gif

That's too bad, maybe next time you should have the shipper double box them? Mine arrived in perfect shape, I think ninjapoodles used about half a roll of bubble wrap on them! I candled, but I couldn't see any air cells. On one hand, this is good, cause that means they are very fresh. On the other hand, it also means I can't tell if the air cells are moving
he.gif

Maybe you could try ordering poults from a hatchery? I don't know if any of the turkey breeders on here ship babies, but I know that many of the hatcheries have reduced prices on 'mix' batches, if you don't mind what kind you get
big_smile.png
I too would love the midget whites, I just can't afford them right now! These will have to do for now
big_smile.png
lau.gif

Yep, I've found a feedstore locally that orders from Ideal... I'm going to see if they'll special order some BR's and MW's for me.

The shipper did individually wrap each egg in layers of bubble wrap, packed with newspaper, bubble wrap and stryofoam peanuts, and used a very sturdy box. The PO did their best to absolutely crush the box. I'm not sure even double boxing would have helped.... it was even marked "eggs" and "fragile" over every side, top and bottom of the box.

I'll try shipped eggs again sometime... not gonna give up that easily!

I bet this is going to be a long 28 days for you
wink.png

Quote:
That really stinks, it seems certain areas have postal workers that try their best to destroy them! Too bad you hadn't gotten insurance, at least you would have gotten your money back.

And I think I can handle the 28 days.....I just hatched goose and duck eggs (both 28 days), and I'm currently waiting on muscovy ducks to get done! If I can survive muscovies, I can survive anything!!
lau.gif
I hope!
gig.gif

Quote:
Ditto! I love hatching turkeys. They either die in the egg, if they aren't quite right, or they come busting out hell bent for leather. I have had to give a few poly-vi-sol. They weren't moving as fast as the others. That seemed to fix 'em right up.

Oh how fun! I love our turkeys they are the sweetest birds and folllow us and lay there heads in our laps just like dogs! I think you'll be happy with them.
On the other hand they are noisy as babies... hum not unlike children, if you can survive the baby peeps you'll make it!
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Still waiting on shortcake to get back with me, I don't want to take it away from her! I would say yes, we just need to get things set up first. If she doesn't do it, then I will, so it will for sure be on!

A friend of mine had some baby turkeys she had gotten at a feed store, and those little boogers were mean!! I guess they didn't like to have their feed run out on them!

I read over on the other fowl forum something about putting molasses in their water? Do they have to have this? I honestly know nothing about turkeys!
gig.gif

I never have steve would know more, I always ask him when I've got ???s
I just treated ours like little chicks other then feed and one did get held always because he was only quite then, he is the best one we have now.
I'm keepning my eyes peeled for the swap.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom