Got my new coop today!

OnceAroundTheBlock

Songster
8 Years
Sep 24, 2011
Western North Carolina
Today the high school's carpentry class got some nicer weather and were able to come out and finish building my run. They delivered my coop last week but we had some nasty weather and they couldn't finish it up. It's a small coop that can only house 1-10 chickens in it but I'll only want to have 2 or 3 hens and maybe a rooster. I'm not interested in raising any chicks but I would like the rooster for the noise appeal...lol.

I had them make the run 10' x 10', plenty big enough for them to get lot's of exercise. I would let them free range but I've got 4 dogs and 2 of them I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw an elephant!

I'm keeping a lookout for some pullets but if none are for sale locally then I'll just be patient and wait until my daughter's chicks are big enough to move to my coop. She had a broody hen who hatched out some chicks last month and my daughter already said I could have a rooster and a couple females in a few more weeks.

Not sure what kind of breeds the chicks are because apparently all the chickens (different breeds) started laying in the broody hen's nest and she was sitting on 16 eggs but only 10 of them hatched.

I still have some supplies I need to get before the coop will be chicken-ready. I also need to figure out how I want to cover the top of the run to keep the chickens in and the predators out.

chickencoop2.jpg

chickencoop1.jpg

that is a cute little coop! That is a nice big run too, your chickens will be happy! To cover the run you could use a mesh netting, or if you put supports out you could cover it with more chicken wire or welded wire- raccoons can rip through chicken wire pretty easily but they are normally nocturnal so as long as your chickens are inside and locked up at night it should be fine. I wouldn't put more than four chickens in the coop as it is a bit small, most folks recommend 3-4 square feet of space per chicken inside the coop. I look forward to seeing pictures of your new flock!
smile.png

Thanks Kevin and Allie! What are your thoughts about running some heavy-duty fishing line back and forth all over the top of the run? We do get several snowfalls during the Winter, some a foot or more deep, so I need something that would let the snow fall on thru to the ground.

I'm not sure about the Snow question. We rarely ever get snow down here. Hopefully someone with some experience can add some insight.

Well, after many hurdles and getting over them, I finally got my chickens today! I ended up putting up poultry netting over half of my run top and a well-supported white tarp (from Home Depot online) over the rest of the run. I originally posted that the run was 10 x 10' but it's more like 20 x 20', big difference, eh?

I've got a 10lb feeder hanging up in the run and a 2 gal. fountain waterer sitting on a heater base all plugged in and ready to go. A deep layer of pine shavings on the metal tray inside the coop, 2 nest boxes with pine shavings in them, nice little comfy dwelling that I think they'll like.

My daughter, son-in-law and grandkids brought down their "donations" to Mimi's new flock....not sure of the breeds but beggar's can't be choosers....lol. I only wanted 3 chickens (hopefully all hens) because 1 person can only eat so many eggs per week, right? Eventually, I will get a rooster somewhere but for now I'm happy with the way things are.

Here's a picture of my little girls (about 13 weeks old) that I just snapped with my cell phone just before I put them up for the night inside their coop.

Last edited:
Thanks OC! It's so cute, the little half-grown chicks must be missing the warmth and companionship of their mommy (daughter said they were still trying to hide under her wings or stand on her back...lol) because they only come out into their run to eat, drink and scratch around a little and then they make a beeline back into the coop.

I guess they're still feeling a little insecure about the big change.

Back
Top Bottom