Got NPIP Certified so I could Legally Ship- Post Office Says I Can't??

Well dont tell my post master! I ship lives with no problem.

I do have to call the 'hub' and give them the shipping addy and then they reserve a spot for them and its as easy as that.

Sorry you are having trouble!

Quote:
Maybe I want to move to KY then?? lolol

I know other people in Ohio have shipped. I did try explaining to her that shipping chicks will help expand my business, and she was pretty understanding about that.

She didn't say she'd NEVER let me ship live birds, she said she just wants to do more looking into the regulations for it. It's still frustrating.

Mrs. Turbo, do you ship all of your poultry over night express?

We ship everything express, including chicks, but not all make it overnight. Depending on how far one is from a major post office, it can take 2 days but it is still the same price at the post office.
We have 2 trucks that leave the post office to take boxes to Louisville and if we make it on the first truck they have a better chance of making it the next day. We don’t offer priority mail because we stand behind the number of live birds you buy and there is too big of a risk shipping priority.

If we ship older birds I dump a can of whole kernel corn in the box for them. It holds the moisture better than cut up fruit so the birds can have a little hydration on the trip. As it gets hotter I reduce the number of chicks in the box....right now I try to keep the numbers at 15 in a box made for 25. The chicks can handle being a little cooler than they can the excess heat....
We like to ship adults and started birds when the temps are at or below 85* both ways......the post office doesn't check the destination temps so you have to keep an eye on them yourself.

It is worrisome and frustrating shipping birds, but once you get the hand of it, it won't be so bad.

Mrs. Turbo :

We ship everything express, including chicks, but not all make it overnight. Depending on how far one is from a major post office, it can take 2 days but it is still the same price at the post office.
We have 2 trucks that leave the post office to take boxes to Louisville and if we make it on the first truck they have a better chance of making it the next day. We don’t offer priority mail because we stand behind the number of live birds you buy and there is too big of a risk shipping priority.

If we ship older birds I dump a can of whole kernel corn in the box for them. It holds the moisture better than cut up fruit so the birds can have a little hydration on the trip. As it gets hotter I reduce the number of chicks in the box....right now I try to keep the numbers at 15 in a box made for 25. The chicks can handle being a little cooler than they can the excess heat....
We like to ship adults and started birds when the temps are at or below 85* both ways......the post office doesn't check the destination temps so you have to keep an eye on them yourself.

It is worrisome and frustrating shipping birds, but once you get the hand of it, it won't be so bad.

Thank you for the information. I will be shipping my first started birds when the weather cools off. You're the second one to mention using canned whole corn, so I will try that too. I will also talk to my local PO to be sure I know the best time to bring them so they can make it by the next day. I had already planned to ship express only.​

Mrs. Turbo :

Quote:
Maybe I want to move to KY then?? lolol

I know other people in Ohio have shipped. I did try explaining to her that shipping chicks will help expand my business, and she was pretty understanding about that.

She didn't say she'd NEVER let me ship live birds, she said she just wants to do more looking into the regulations for it. It's still frustrating.

Mrs. Turbo, do you ship all of your poultry over night express?

It is worrisome and frustrating shipping birds, but once you get the hand of it, it won't be so bad.​

Got my ( both sets of chicks from Mrs.Turbo) in two days or less-
thumbsup.gif
One first week of May the other just today:)... just over 24 hours from KY to NY- My Po called me immediately-couldnt be happier!!!

I'm wanting some of her chicks, too, just not sure it's going to happen this year.
sad.png

Quote:
hugs.gif
I hope you get the shipping all straightened out soon so you can ship chickies-I believe its probably she ( PO lady) didnt want to be bothered! you see 100's of people shipping birds everywhere!

Back
Top Bottom