Got NPIP Certified so I could Legally Ship- Post Office Says I Can't??

Quail_Antwerp

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
Ohio
So last December I had my flock tested and paid for my NPIP certification and I am A.I. Monitored. I was excited that I could offer shipping of day old chicks or older birds.

Well, I can't. I mean, I can, but my Post Master said No. She said I have to be a Hatchery - that individual breeders cannot ship chicks or adult birds through the Postal service. They are only allowed to accept delivery of chicks from a licensed hatchery, not individual breeders.

I was a bit stumped. I even explained I had paid to become NPIP Certified so that it would be legal for me to ship. And I KNOW other people ship, right? Not just the big commercial hatcheries, but small, NPIP Certified breeders - and lots of members here have shipped.

So she at first was very adamant, but then she said, "Well, I'll look in to it, but I still don't think it will be allowed."

So I'm disappointed. I had hoped to have this all arranged with her, and get my set up ready, so that when I renew my NPIP for next year, I could start shipping chicks in 2011.

Does anyone have any advice or know where I can get the regulations on shipping chicks to show to my post mistress???

Thanks!

I know that when I got NPIP certified they told me I had to buy a "booklet" of 25 forms for $50 that have no expiration date for shipping birds. That form is what the PO needs to allow shipping. I would contact the person in charge of NPIP in your state and ask who to talk to for the shipping forms. I don't know if it is exactly the same state to state (we don't pay to get NPIP certified and only employees of USDA can do the testing (no certification of lay people to do it) so your cost/access my be slightly different than mine but since it is USDA (federal) I would think the forms would be uniform in where to get it if not cost.

I would be curious to hear how you make out!!! Good luck.

Jacki

I work for the post office, and that just didn't sound right to me. I looked it up on the USPS website and couldn't find anything that said you had to be a hatchery to ship. I would check with another post office because it could just be a case of her not admitting when she doesn't really know the regulations herself. Here is a link to the site.

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c5_007.htm#ep203303

Hope this helps!

Karen in NC

Quote:
I have that book. The guy who did my testing sent them to me when he sent me all of my NPIP paperwork. They were FREE with my certification - but I did pay $50 for my certification. He said that the forms were required when I shipped chicks and/or adult birds. I told her I had those forms, and she still insisted only a commercial hatchery can ship.

She said she would look into it for me, but she could drag her feet for all I know. They've been great about me shipping eggs.

Thanks!

See if the person who certified you can give the post master a letter of phone call saying that you are allowed to now ship birds. Better yet. See if they would go to the PO in person with you to tell them..

Thats all I can think of.

Sounds to me like she doesn't want to deal with shipping them. I'd go to another post office if possible. If not you're gonna have to find the regs and go in there and stomp your feet a little.

wow, never had that problem. Could be a state rule or the postmaster is wrong. Find another postoffice within driving distance and charge a little extra for postage if you have to. Our post office is a 30 minute drive one way. Sounds like they just don't want to ship chicks so they will make it hard on you. That is one reasone we don't seek refunds on late express shipping because the postmaster can make up all kinds of things to make it hard to ship.

Mrs. Turbo :

Oh, we are also NPIP but never have to show papers or anything like that. Ky must be more relaxed?

Maybe I want to move to KY then?? lolol

I know other people in Ohio have shipped. I did try explaining to her that shipping chicks will help expand my business, and she was pretty understanding about that.

She didn't say she'd NEVER let me ship live birds, she said she just wants to do more looking into the regulations for it. It's still frustrating.

Mrs. Turbo, do you ship all of your poultry over night express?​

Back
Top Bottom