Got our first hatchling!

Well dang. We've all had hatches go bad and just like you we try again.
Thanks for the encouragement theoldchick...

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

I'm not gonna give up... heck, I spent $2.50 for the dozen eggs I just set in the bator!
lau.gif

Seriously, it was just an experiment. Blondie went broody and quit laying, so since she was sitting, I thought I'd try it. I would have used our eggs, but we don't have a rooster anymore. We got 1 chick out of the deal (which worries me about how to introduce the new chicken to the flock) but it was fun trying.

I'm not one to give up. I'm stubborn. I'll keep trying.

I knew we had issues with the community coop trying to hatch, but this kinda came up without prior planning. I hadn't planned to hatch anything, but when Blondie went broody I thought I'd try.

The thing that bugs me the most is loosing 2 hatchlings. I hate that.

Maybe we'll do better with the "strange eggs" I've set in the bator.

Rotor

Last edited:
I have no idea what it is... I do know his Daddy is a Rhode Island Red. No idea who the mama is.

Rotor

Last edited:
Blackie is still doing great, and growing like a weed! I let it into a "day care" coop during the day, but still put it in the nursery at night. It may have to start staying in the coop at night now, since I've had 2 of the 'bator eggs hatch so far.

Still not sure what kind of mixed up chicken it is... maybe a Heinz 57.

Rotor

The "day care" coop

This is where Blackie has been staying during the day. Tomorrow it'll probably have to spend the night there, since I plan to move the new hatchlings into the "nursery".

Rotor

Back
Top Bottom