Got sand? You should!

Pics
My hubby is a builder and so I used 6" of red building sand. It's great whilst its dry, they pick the grit from it so no need for oyster shells Eric, but when it gets wet the white ladies get red chests from it. It soon washes off tho and in UK I can pay just £22 for a tonne

Hi we got some sand today from a local landscaping place I believe it is fine mason sand. I'm a little worried because DH said it is the wrong sand due to it's dust and can hurt the chickens lungs. Help did we get the wrong sand?

It will be a bit dusty and I'm sure river sand would be better for their lungs. However I have used play sand in brooders and it is much more fine and dustier. If you can get river sand, get it.

Dust from sand if inhaled everyday will kill you. I'm sure it's not good for chickens. Get the course sand if you can.

We use river sand in all our coops. Any course sand will do tho.

Last edited:
what a wonderful idea, i have been looking for a used eglu but if i cant find one i will use this in a traditional coop

What do you use for the nesting boxes? This is good information. My husband says using wood chips is going to be expensive and he was wanting me to look into sand. I didn't think it sounded like a good idea, however I had no idea. Being someone who needs a "smack to the back of their head" this was a good article. Thank you!

We use a combination of hay and sand in our nesting boxes,
I grab a handfull of hay shake it out thrwo it over into another box and scoop the litter.
Move onto the next nesting box and repeat.

Thanks everyone this thread answered all my questions before I could even get the chance to ask!!! I now now which sand I'm going to get. Oh wait can you put diatomaceous earth with the sand? Though from what what it sounds like you probably won't need it.

Back
Top Bottom