Got screamed at by the neighbors..

Quote:
Uh, just not feeding time pics....
smile.png

That's such a freakin' awesome image! That was one of the main reasons why when I was growing up, I wanted to work for the zoo or some animal park...feeding the carnivorous creatures of the earth!
cool.png

LOL. i knew it had to be! i'm starting to run into people i "know". maybe i really have reached the end of the internet?!

that may very well be,beefy,but others are asking us Floridians if we have internet yet...and here you are finding the end of the net scratching ur head? On another note,that screaming neighbor figure things out yet? I used to think peanut butter was thick?

Speaking of "That Tiger"

I've seen lions and tigers at many zoos and most of the time they just look like big beautiful kitty cats that with just a little bit of love you'd be the envy of cat lovers everywhere. Wouldn't they make a great pet!!!

I don't know if anyone else on this list has had the opportunity to witness the experience of feeding time in the Big Cat House of the San Francisco Zoo but it was one of the top experiences I've had in my life.

Picture this, a huge, 1930's beautiful art deco building. The public is admitted at feeding time. The building is buzzing with the sound of the zoo visitors at first but the keepers ask for quiet and the crowd slowly goes silent - almost in reverence.

When the zoo built the modern "natural" enclosures, they decided to keep the original building and design the new around it. Until last week or so, the cats would go inside for their food.

The crowd is now quiet, straining to see the cats walk into the individual barred cages that line the opposite wall. The cats slowly enter the building, one at a time. Once they are all in, their keepers start to toss them their meal. (The day we went it looked like chicken).

Eventually one cat will roar then another, before you know it the entire building is shaking from roars of these majestic animals echoing off the walls around the room. The noise is deafening, giving you that weird jiggily feeling when your insides are rattling about. The look on the faces around you is pure awe. Even if you wanted to speak, the noise is so loud, the person next to you couldn't hear you. Eventually they get bored with entertaining the mundane humans and go back outside.

After the zoo escape and killing, I heard one professor complain that the cats are teased by feeding them that way and it should stop but I got the impression that they enjoyed the show as much as we did.

I'm glad I witnessed it AND I'm glad there were nice strong bars between us and them! Once you've experienced feeding time at the Big Cat House, you start to respect those animals for what they are and their beauty. They are never just BIG kitty cats again.

Tatiana was a beautiful tiger. It's sad that she was smart enough to figure out how to escape and attack those boys. I do hope that she hadn't been teased. It's sad to think that others might never get to have the same experience I did all those years ago.

Back
Top Bottom