Got some replacements

pintail_drake2004

Songster
6 Years
Jun 12, 2017
IL
Well, after a skunk killed 14 of my chicks the other night, the wife and I were in the market for some chicks. I didn't want to waste 3 weeks with some more eggs in the incubator, so it was off to craigslist.
The wife found these today:
new chicks.jpg

My wife found us a deal with a supposed mix of Golden spitzhauben, Silver spitzhauben, Egyptian fayoumis, white rocks, production reds, buff orphingtons, and black sex links.

Sorry for the big loss :hugs Are things secured now so that darned skunk won't be a problem again?

Best of luck with the new chicks!

Yep, I caught 3 coons, 2 skunks, and a mink within 100 yds of the coop. I trap year round on the farm, but I try to stay 250+yds away from the house because of my wifes stupid dog. I pulled some conibear traps in close for a few nights and baited with dead chickens.

When a predator takes 14 chickens is it or are they even eating all of them?

What an awful loss. So sorry it happened to you! How can it be prevented in the future?
It depends on the predator species, the number of predators and how hungry they are.
Sometimes they just eat what they kill. Sometimes they take a bird away and eat it in a safe location. Sometimes they kill every bird in a building and eat little or nothing at all.

Back
Top Bottom