got the chickens before the coop...

cedric wyndham

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
We did PLAN to make the chicken tractor first, but then the fluffy cheepsters insisted we take them home immediately. Housed in a dog crate, they seem very happy and energetic right up to nap time.
This is our first time with chickens, hoping for eggs someday. :) we are urban backyard chicken farmers with 6 varied chicks.
Primarily vegetarian and organic. Can anyone tell me how long they will be comfortable in the dog crate? It is about 3x3x2. The chicks are just starting to show some feathers on their wee wings.

i had bought 6 last spring and also had them in a dog cage the same size. i house them in it till they were 7 weeks. not ideal but it worked. after that they were in the coop with a 250w heat lamp.

also
frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
For the first 2 weeks the recommended brooder space is 0.5 sq ft per chick, 2-4 weeks 1 sq ft per chick, 4-8 weeks 2.5 sq ft per chick. After 6 weeks they should be fully feathered and able to live outside in their coop, which should allow 4 sq ft per chicken and 10 sq ft per chicken in the run, unless you free range them.

Greetings from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here! Your story - chickens before the coop is kind of like "cart before the horse!" At least you have time to get the coop built before they outgrow the dog crate. Good luck and have fun!

To answer your question - not long. Hustle on making that coop - welcome to BYC.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom