1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gourmet Blacks ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by catdaddyfro, Dec 13, 2009.

1. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    What are they and where do you get them?

I've only seen them on here two times once recently and on an older meat bird thread when I did a search on them.

catdaddy

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Excuse me if I'm being rude but what are Gourment Blacks?

3. HeelerDawg

HeelerDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2008
    Southeastern,Kentucky
    I'd like to know myself. Can't say I've heard of them.

4. Iceblink

Iceblink Chillin' With My Peeps

I think they are a type of meat bird, like the Freedom Ranger. They don't grow as fast as the Cornish x, but faster than a 'regular' chicken.

5. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Lay huge eggs very regularly for meat birds....can go broody....quite greedy.... [​IMG]

I have some Gourmet Black hens. Sadly, Freedom Rangers closed so I don't know where you can buy them.

6. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:Alright Kooshie your web page was where I saw them called gourmet blacks and was wondering where you got them from.

The reason behind this is I've hatched similar looking birds like those before but didn't know they had a breed (type) name.

The cross that makes the same color(type) bird is a Barred Rock rooX Red hens(RIR, NH, or Prod. red).

This cross has hens that look like your Snowneck and Roos that look like Maxx's roo Bucky.

I hatched some out like them about 3 years ago and yes they lay a very large egg also.

Anyhow thanks for the info.

catdaddy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by