1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grain Grinder

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dave31842, May 1, 2016.

1. Dave31842

Dave31842 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2016
    Last week I bought a grain grinder at Tractor Supply, works great for grinding up grit, oyster shell and grain. $30.00 + free ship to store. I watched the button quail eat and the chunks were to big, I could see It while they were pecking away. The grinder is adjustable so you can pretty much get whatever size you want. I can say thought that it is much for those little beaks to pick up grit, oyster shell and food. Just thought I would pass it on. Probably like many of you, I had to get it in my budget but am really happy I got the grinder.

Dave

2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info, does seem like a good price for a grain grinder. Can you post a picture of it please?

3. Dave31842

Apr 9, 2016
    Limited, I will post a picture as soon as I can.
    Dave

4. Dave31842

Apr 9, 2016
    Limited--pictures of grinder. I mounted mine to my bench and adjusted my grinding wheel for a larger grit and oyster shell size and then I can adjust the actual adjustment screw for a smaller size. I buy chick grit which is smaller then regular grit (same cost). I also grind my purena wild game chow starter, it seemed a little big for the button quail mouth. I do mine in two stages. If you get one, you can fiddle with it to suit your own needs. You can look at the pics to see that I used washers as spacers for the wheel attachment. Grinding more then once is less wear and tear on the cast iron wheels. I know that the quail are much happier with the smaller grind. Dave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. limited25

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Nice! Thanks for the pictures. Think I will get one too.

6. pkhunter

pkhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    You can get the same one on ebay for around $15 with free shipping.

7. limited25

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Wow, good to know ... I will look there first.

8. Dave31842

Apr 9, 2016
    I also looked on e bay and the cost can vary. I just rather do local stuff. Good idea though.
    Dave

9. Kasilofchrisn

Kasilofchrisn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    Kenai peninsula Alaska
    I bought mine locally here in Alaska for ~ $17.
    They are handy to have that's for sure.
    I found it grinds my Chaga for tea quite well. Usually just use the chunk Chaga though.
    I like the idea of grinding feed grains though.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by