Gramcracker's coop.

Pics
The coop is not yet secured, everything just seems to take so much time. 1 door is in, it took some adapting as it wasn't working as I pictured with the hinges I bought; I'm sure the clean out door will also need some tweaking. 2 windows are screened with hardware cloth, the rest of the roof is painted, the inside of the coop is painted, the pop door is in. Now to figure out how to screen between rafters.
Everything takes at least twice as long as you expect it to. I didn't think getting a few things at the store would take so long, but i didn't get back until nearly supper time. I think i am going to put scrap wood in the spaces between the frame and the metal roof. I have two vents to put in high on the walls.

Everything takes at least twice as long as you expect it to. I didn't think getting a few things at the store would take so long, but i didn't get back until nearly supper time. I think i am going to put scrap wood in the spaces between the frame and the metal roof. I have two vents to put in high on the walls.

Scrap wood would work. I'm trying to leave the space open for ventilation so need to figure out a good way to attach the hardware cloth. There is a sheet of plywood just sitting on roof as I kept pushing it out of my way to give me some headspace while painting etc. It will be attached tomorrow.

IMG_0529.JPG

Scrap wood would work. I'm trying to leave the space open for ventilation so need to figure out a good way to attach the hardware cloth. There is a sheet of plywood just sitting on roof as I kept pushing it out of my way to give me some headspace while painting etc. It will be attached tomorrow.

View attachment 1115690
I would definitely attach the hardware cloth before putting the plywood on.

Woke up to a thunderstorm @ 6:30. Looks like it will be around for a little while per the radar. Guess I will have to work on inside chores for a little while before heading outside will also need it to dry out a bit. I think to put the hardware cloth on the rafter openings I will attach the part that will go against the ceiling to cut to fit 1x2's, screw the side and bottom to the rafters and top of the coop frame. Once I get roof anchored down I can then attach the 1x2's to the ceiling with deck screws. I think this will work unless something else presents itself before I get to it.

We have spaces between the rafters in ours, on one side above the siding. We just cut pieces of 1/2" hardware mesh and stapled it in place, leaving any sharp pointy edges poking outwards that our daughter called "weasel.stabbers". First winter I put insulation up there but thereafter just leave open for ventilation. There's a big overhang over their "porch" on that side.

Last edited:
We have spaces between the rafters in ours, on one side above the siding. We just cut pieces of 1 /2" hardware mesh and stapled it in place, leaving any sharp pointy edges poking outwards that our daughter called "weasel.stabbers". First winter I put insulation up there but thereafter just leave open for ventilation. There's a big overhang over their "porch" on that side.

Love that idea. leaving the points facing outward. It's still really wet outside but need to get to work anyway on getting it secure. My main drain is backing up and I'm afraid that the bottom of my cardboard box that the chicks are in may have gotten a little wet from the washing machine drain So really need to get it secured and the chicks moved.

Back
Top Bottom