Gramcracker's coop.

Pics

jeria

Songster
May 5, 2017
Independence MO
This gramma is building a coop--some grandson's call me Gramcracker-- silly but fun. No one is helping until the grandsons help me with the roof, no way can I lift 4x12 sheets of plywood and metal roofing. Also they will help with the roof framing as that's rather difficult for one person. It will be for 4 chickens with the possibility of adding a couple more down the road as egg production decreases. Per zoning regs 6 hens is the limit.

The wall and floor frames have been built over the past several weeks, slow thanks to getting bronchitis and overtime at work. The coop is 4x6 it will be enclosed in an 8x10 run with a solid roof over all. It is my own design (tweaked as I have learned more on here) and I have no building experience and limited tools. If I can do this anyone can.

Here is progress on assembly today: Not perfect but I keep telling myself it is a chicken coop. IMG_0479.JPG IMG_0481.JPG IMG_0484.JPG IMG_0486.JPG

Tomorrow is start on the siding.

IMG_0524.JPG IMG_0525.JPG IMG_0526.JPG IMG_0527.JPG

This is my high intensity workout for this am. YAY!! The frame is on top of the coop!!! Taking a break before I straighten it out and anchor it down. Not a perfect fit but the chickens won't care. Finishing it and some tall and climbing plants next year and it will hide the crooked places. :celebrate:wee:woot

Attachments

• IMG_0524.JPG
    IMG_0524.JPG
    882.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0526.JPG
    IMG_0526.JPG
    759.6 KB · Views: 14
I know all about the humidity. Have to take lots of breaks and go in to cool off. Sweat just pours off my face. This coop build is exciting, though! Got my skylight made from shower doors installed and caulked now!View attachment 1111040

What a cool use of materials!! Looking good! I was soaked yesterday, my hair dripping when I took my ball cap off, my jeans and my shirt also soaked. Hoping not so many breaks today with no pounding in supports.

I'm hoping to get most of the run and roof framing done today and if time a trip to re-store to see if they have any hinges and latches. I also need to get the screen door primed and the hardware cloth added. I have this week off to get the coop done and catch up on a few other things. So for me a few inside catch ups then outside to the coop. A late start as I'm allowing myself to sleep in a little this week.

IMG_0521.JPG IMG_0520.JPG

Today's progress, most of the framing is up and the roof frame is nearly ready to try to slide on. I still have the anchor the cross beams into the hangers with screws. It was nearly dark so decided it was time to pick up the tools etc. for the night. One of these days I'll get my yard under control again. Most years it looks pretty good, right now it is a jungle. This coop has taken a lot of my available time.

I will now have to build a door as the purchased one is too tall with the flat roof. I'm trying to figure out how I can adapt it. It's the same door as the one from my house into the garage. Maybe I will try adapting the one on my house as it needs to be replaced anyway, especially since I have a new one sitting in my garage. ;) Will have to think about that overnight. Somehow I wake up with either solutions or a realization that my plan won't work as is.

OyVey Arrrrghhh!!! BTDT...are you on city sewer or septic?

City, Tree roots invade my main drain one of these days I will have to spend the big bucks and have a new line put in, the old clay drain isn't in the best shape. Call Barry (plumber) tomorrow and see when he can come. I can lock kitty in a dog crate for a bit so chicks are safe. It is only backing up when I do laundry so can manage a day or 2. Just a pain and $$. Luckily it mostly backs up into my basement shower so rather contained. Just have to go clean it out, not pleasant.

Gave up on the coop @ 6:15 for the day, have some things I need to do before going back to work tomorrow and some dinner. Also just tired. The chicks aren't moving in today, maybe I will be able to work on it after work the next day or so and get them moved. The rain and the drain made a late start for the day. Here is a photo of the rafter solution which was time consuming. I will have to anchor it to the roof when I get that section screwed down. 1 4x8 sheet is IMG_0530.JPG up but I need the 2 foot section up to finish the rafters.

About to go pick up tools, the mosquitos and some other critter is eating me alive! It's after 7 so time to do so anyway. With all the rain we have had the bugs are bad this year.

Just a few things to do and the coop will be safe to move them in tomorrow for sure. Have a latch to install and a few pieces of trim, clean it out, maybe put in a roost, and set up food and water. They are starting to get to be stinky girls this past week. So definitely time for them to be in their own house. Also Tillie (barred rock) is almost bumping her head on the protective wire rack over their box.

The plywood roof is over the coop but need one more panel over the run before I can finish it with the metal roofing. That can wait until I get the run finished. Will post some photos tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom