Granny's gone and done it again

IMO he didn’t fail, the rescue failed by placing that dog with him. It wasn’t a good dog for a first time dog owner.
This. The rescue hardcore dropped the ball.

Return/rehome policy within five days?
Not having a meet and greet with all critters in the household?
Did they follow up AT ALL?
Was any training offered as part of the adoption?

I don't think a puppy would be the way to go for Robert either. They are A LOT of work - and how much did you do with this girl? (granted, a little bit of help is ok, but the lion's share of work needs to go to Robert so he can bond with said pup!)

Work with a DIFFERENT rescue. Seriously. This one just...red flags. One that will do the temperament testing and see how they do with other critters before releasing them to a new home. One that insists on all members having a meet and greet. One that will work with training and training techniques with Robert.

Caught up, so here goes:

Started in Rocky Ford, CO, ended in Hamilton, MT. Went through (as I recall) WY, UT, ID, MT. Covered avg. 20 miles per day. Walked a lot to spare the horses going up hills.

You sound like us. Our vehicles have eaten us up this year, but at the mo all seem to be in pretty good shape. But, sigh, the ManChild is 16 and is going to need something to drive. Oh! I mean, *I'm* going to need something new to drive, since he'll be driving MY car, which his sister considerately broke in for him by putting a few dings in it, lol!

Thos are going to look really cool! What are you planting in them?

Sounds like fun! We need pics, remember!

Oh dear! You just can't seem to catch a break, Granny! :hugs

:eek:You REALLY need to stop smoking, Granny! Those smokes are killing you!

? Instead of whose? JK, I know you mean instead of the recliner. But why the sad face? Don't you like your bed?
Funny thing is...hubs is a mechanic. haha. He took my car today....put painters tape around the sunroof so *fingers crossed*

Was raining cats and dogs this morning but seeing some blue skies right meow....

what is a good first time dog? Lab, puppy??
Puppy is to much work. Did you think Robert was up doing all he needed to do? A new dog is too much for you, IMO. A puppy you need to take out every hour during the day. If it is Robert’s dog the crate needs to be in his room. He is yo go everything for it. Plus you would need to take it to obedience class for at least the first year. The puppy needs to be socialized.

This. The rescue hardcore dropped the ball.

Return/rehome policy within five days?
Not having a meet and greet with all critters in the household?
Did they follow up AT ALL?
Was any training offered as part of the adoption?

I don't think a puppy would be the way to go for Robert either. They are A LOT of work - and how much did you do with this girl? (granted, a little bit of help is ok, but the lion's share of work needs to go to Robert so he can bond with said pup!)

Work with a DIFFERENT rescue. Seriously. This one just...red flags. One that will do the temperament testing and see how they do with other critters before releasing them to a new home. One that insists on all members having a meet and greet. One that will work with training and training techniques with Robert.
Yes. They should have training classes he can go to. It isn’t anything people learn unless they take a class. It isn’t intuitive.

Puppy is to much work. Did you think Robert was up doing all he needed to do? A new dog is too much for you, IMO. A puppy you need to take out every hour during the day. If it is Robert’s dog the crate needs to be in his room. He is yo go everything for it. Plus you would need to take it to obedience class for at least the first year. The puppy needs to be socialized.
THIS.

And even if you get an older dog through a rescue, Robert still needs to do training and socialization.

Puppies you need CONSTANT VIGILANCE (seriously. Freaking eyes in the back of your head). Some breeds are crazy until about 2-3. Soo....

Bear in mind...I'm not an expert. Other than the family dogs....I've dealt with Peach (who was a rescue - but it took me many years to get her to a solid point....how I did worked for us, but wouldn't work in all situations), and I've dealt with Goose (who seriously had me questioning what the heck I was thinking getting a german shepherd pup MANY TIMES when he was younger.)

It's OK. I figured I'd lose it. It was pretty bad the other day. It probably ruptured its bowels.
I read that pasty butt happens when the chick gets chilled after hatching, especially with the extra stress during shipping. The chill causes organ damage. Depending on severity and the health of the individual, some can recover, but some are just too fragile.
Keep an eye on the rest.

Back
Top Bottom