Granny's gone and done it again

Well, to be honest, it's NOT natural if you get my drift.. One of the reason I left the breed. And their training methods.. If you wanted to be competitive, you needed to have a very expensive horse, a latino rider who would train and show for you. Everything else was considered a cull.

But, this is what I saw in Spain... and wanted to learn
A very slow, humane training program with these horses.
That's more my speed too. Beautiful movement. The horses are so muscular, especially the neck. and that one was spinning circles and jumping over the pole!
What is on the end of those poles? Looks sharp. A cattle prod? The calf went down so quick... looked stunned.

We raised thoroughbreds when I was a kid. More of a hobby for my dad. Initially for the race track. Soured on that after seeing what goes on there. Happily shifted to selling for hunter-jumpers. I got to green break them with my dad. He'd toss me on top and say don't get bucked off, jump off. haha It was the only time I got to ride. None of us really knew what we were doing.

That's more my speed too. Beautiful movement. The horses are so muscular, especially the neck. and that one was spinning circles and jumping over the pole!
What is on the end of those poles? Looks sharp. A cattle prod? The calf went down so quick... looked stunned.

We raised thoroughbreds when I was a kid. More of a hobby for my dad. Initially for the race track. Soured on that after seeing what goes on there. Happily shifted to selling for hunter-jumpers. I got to green break them with my dad. He'd toss me on top and say don't get bucked off, jump off. haha It was the only time I got to ride. None of us really knew what we were doing.
That pole is called a garrocha, and it does have a very sharp end, because the bulls and even some of the cows they are working are aggressive as can be. The ones in the video are PRE's and they have the same genetic pool as the Lusitanos, which I also love. Lusitanos are more athletic and are used in the bullfights.
Mom and dad both had a horse when I was knee high to a grasshopper.. I would ride my mom's paint called Cholla (Choya). I've always loved horses, so when I got a chance got back into it.. 3 generations of pasos, and for me 10 was a herd, not hundreds.

Mom is on the left, they had won 'matched pairs class' back in oh, um about '60

Attachments

• momwcholla.jpg
    momwcholla.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
OMG, I'm all caught up. Woop!
One time I went on vacation... got behind something like 500 pages! That was years ago... many regulars back then. We are all glad to have some new friends join in, with you and Blue. :)
We will try to limit the posts if you ever take a trip!

Back
Top Bottom