Granny's gone and done it again

I have a friend who 'eats healthy' and she taught me to look for highly colored foods to eat. Sweet potatoes, Squash, whole wheat pastas and breads. We love cubed sweet potatoes and squash coated with oil and roasted along with green beans. I even make sweet potato and squash French fries and roast them in the oven until crisp.

They thought for awhile that I had Gout and I was on a gout diet. Man what a pain that was. Rheumy finally decided that I didn't have it so I could ditch the diet. We eat pretty healthy. Not a lot of processed foods, lean beef, pork and for me a lot of chicken. Our biggest vices are low fat ice cream and Quaker Dipps. We gave up pop. I make our own pizza when we have it.

It's hard and frankly we could do better but giving up that sugar is the hard if not impossible part.

Hi Sally, Yes I had a small MI due to low iron. Thats been corrected.

Jack ass ?

I know you guys worry about me and thank you for feeling for me. The stress of stopping smoking is as bad as the smokes. Fact is the low iron caused this from us not being able to pay $10. for a pack of hamburger. Yup, stop smoking and I can. I heard all the reasons and told all the excuses.
We are all guilty of something.

Toms DD is here. She got in last night and has gone to the grocery store to get breakfast fixings.
no granny, I am talking about myself. I get good advice on this thread, but darn if I ever take it.

Hi Sally, Yes I had a small MI due to low iron. Thats been corrected.

Jack ass ?

I know you guys worry about me and thank you for feeling for me. The stress of stopping smoking is as bad as the smokes. Fact is the low iron caused this from us not being able to pay $10. for a pack of hamburger. Yup, stop smoking and I can. I heard all the reasons and told all the excuses.
We are all guilty of something.

Toms DD is here. She got in last night and has gone to the grocery store to get breakfast fixings.
Wow, I am so sorry, I had no idea you couldn’t afford to buy a pack of hamburger. You really need the red beef with your iron issue. Hamburger here is 5 dollars a lb for the 27 percent fat stuff, never seen it so high. They probably don’t give you any meals with beef in them.

I have a friend who 'eats healthy' and she taught me to look for highly colored foods to eat. Sweet potatoes, Squash, whole wheat pastas and breads. We love cubed sweet potatoes and squash coated with oil and roasted along with green beans. I even make sweet potato and squash French fries and roast them in the oven until crisp.

They thought for awhile that I had Gout and I was on a gout diet. Man what a pain that was. Rheumy finally decided that I didn't have it so I could ditch the diet. We eat pretty healthy. Not a lot of processed foods, lean beef, pork and for me a lot of chicken. Our biggest vices are low fat ice cream and Quaker Dipps. We gave up pop. I make our own pizza when we have it.

It's hard and frankly we could do better but giving up that sugar is the hard if not impossible part.
Do you make whole grain pasta and doughs? I really cant stand colored bread, I love my white plain bread, although I had found a wheat bread that is light and healthy, thank goodness because I need my bread! Gout sucks too, I am glad its not that! I eat shrimp, turkey meatballs, turkey burgers (I found a really good recipe that I love, and they are ALMOST better than burger burgers. oh and alot of chicken too.

I had anemia for a year and half they didnt tell me to do anything with my diet? makes me mad now, I should have googled then,
but instead I just took the extra B12, folic, Vit C, AND ferralet, I fought them and refused any transfusions until they figured out WHY and where I was loosing blood. In the end the hysterectomy fixed it, and I told them from the start, seemed forever being so dang tired, not tired EXHAUSTED, so Granny I am sorry you go through this, sucks I wish yours would level out again!

Do you make whole grain pasta and doughs? I really cant stand colored bread, I love my white plain bread, although I had found a wheat bread that is light and healthy, thank goodness because I need my bread! Gout sucks too, I am glad its not that! I eat shrimp, turkey meatballs, turkey burgers (I found a really good recipe that I love, and they are ALMOST better than burger burgers. oh and alot of chicken too.
No, I usually buy my pasta. Bread though is all home made here and my one sugar fix besides the low fat icecream and granola bars. I have an Amish white sweet bread recipe that is fantastic.

I really wish I could get away from the sugars but we don't eat candy. Our favorite cakes are all from scratch and I only make them 3 or 4 times a year, one of them being a sour cream chocolate cake that you being PA/Dutch should recognize and start drooling at the mentioning of it.

I try to keep our serving sizes down. I eat mostly chicken and 93% lean ground beef and low fat pork loin once every two weeks. I love salmon burgers and love fish in general. For many years I ate no red meat at all but got bored with it after about 10 years.

As for UK health care, I like to say better the devil you know. I had an internet friend who lives in Ireland. We used to get on Yahoo chat at midnight when I was getting off work and she was getting up to get her family off for the day. One night she told me that she was going in that morning for a chest xray as she was afraid she had pneumonia. I told her good, she would know within 24 hours if she did or not and could begin an antibiotic. She said no, it would take over two weeks for her to get the results! I told her GAAAAAH she could be dead by then. She said yeah but it was the way healthcare worked there. She proceeded to tell me about her husband having Crohn's disease. He had about all of his large intestine removed and a colostomy done due to severe bleeding but they left the last few inches of colon and rectum intact but now that was bleeding and he was going to have to have surgery to remove that. When I asked her when that was going to happen she said she didn't know, that he was on a waiting list and they kept bumping him back due to people being worse off than he is. Once again that was how their health care worked. My remark was 'you call that working?'.

I could write another book on what is driving up the cost of health care in the US but won't. Working with my husband for almost 10 years was a real eye opener on how medicine in the US works and what is driving the cost of it sky high. I didn't see it while working clinical. We never dealt with any of the billing or insurances then but when you are a self employed medical professional you aren't really self employed but working for the insurance companies.

My favorite saying was, Insurance Companies, herd em all together and run em off a cliff.

Trust me. The cost of health care in America would change drastically for the better without them.

yep wise man, I need to take my own heart docs advice, I am doing fairly good with the change, oatmeal daily for breakfast, and let me tell you I gag it down just enough to settle my stomach from all the pills. Its by evening my days suck, I want something good to eat! enough with the healthy food lol
What do you put on your oatmeal to make it palatable? I like mine with a little real maple syrup, pecans, chopped dates or raisins, chopped bananas, and milk.

Wow, I am so sorry, I had no idea you couldn’t afford to buy a pack of hamburger. You really need the red beef with your iron issue. Hamburger here is 5 dollars a lb for the 27 percent fat stuff, never seen it so high. They probably don’t give you any meals with beef in them.
Beans and greens are high in iron. Beans are cheaper than red meat!

Back
Top Bottom