Granny's gone and done it again

I've long ago given up trying to keep up with y'all so I'll just jump in and hold on for dear life, LOL.

We had an interesting thing happen yesterday. Our nearest Amish neighbor knocked on the door and asked us if we had a bucket of ash. Well we heat with wood/biomass so we said, yep what's going on? Seems like he and his boys were moving a round bale of hay up the road to where they are pasturing horses and one of their mares hit ice in front of our house went down hard and couldn't get up. Our roads out here are skating rinks wherever melt run off has settled and refrozen. We gave him what we had on hand as we use it for icy areas around the farm and then DH went out with a bucket of hot coals from the fire that they sprinkled on the worse icy areas on the road to melt the ice so the horses could get their footing.

They were able to get the mare on her feet again and thank goodness she wasn't badly injured. If she had been that would have made me cry.....

Silly man said 'Guess 'Ah bedder' be gittin some shoes on 'mah' horses'. in that distinctive Amish accent they have. Gee ya think?

Good advice on the Stop Smoking, Granny. My parents smoked all their lives and didn't quit until they were my age or older. My mom learned that she had a choice, quit cold turkey or go on O2. The doctor laid it on the line to her so she chose to quit. He told her to keep something in her hands that she could chew on. Sugar free lollipops, coffee stirrers from Micky D's whatever she liked other than a cigarette and when she got the urge to stick a ciggy in her mouth stick a chew stick in there instead. It worked for her.

Different for my dad. When mom quit, I told him no more smoking in the house. If he wanted to smoke he had to go outside. When the Quit Smoking Day happened the next year, he threw his cigarettes away and never smoked again. He said it never bothered him to quit. He just did it. Amazing for a man in his 70s who had smoked since he was in his teens. He admitted once somebody dared him to try one cigarette again and he did. I asked him how it went because I'd heard that it would make a person sick. He just looked at me, nodded and admitted he was throwing up in the gutter after a couple of puffs.

Me? I never smoked. Never had the desire. Saw my parents burn up thousands if not more dollars on them throughout my life. Just always thought we kids could have had a slightly better life if they hadn't wasted all that money on smoking.

Good advice on the Stop Smoking, Granny. My parents smoked all their lives and didn't quit until they were my age or older. My mom learned that she had a choice, quit cold turkey or go on O2. The doctor laid it on the line to her so she chose to quit. He told her to keep something in her hands that she could chew on. Sugar free lollipops, coffee stirrers from Micky D's whatever she liked other than a cigarette and when she got the urge to stick a ciggy in her mouth stick a chew stick in there instead. It worked for her.

Different for my dad. When mom quit, I told him no more smoking in the house. If he wanted to smoke he had to go outside. When the Quit Smoking Day happened the next year, he threw his cigarettes away and never smoked again. He said it never bothered him to quit. He just did it. Amazing for a man in his 70s who had smoked since he was in his teens. He admitted once somebody dared him to try one cigarette again and he did. I asked him how it went because I'd heard that it would make a person sick. He just looked at me, nodded and admitted he was throwing up in the gutter after a couple of puffs.

Me? I never smoked. Never had the desire. Saw my parents burn up thousands if not more dollars on them throughout my life. Just always thought we kids could have had a slightly better life if they hadn't wasted all that money on smoking.
Great message!

Yeah, i never even tried a puff. Cigarettes stink.

Back
Top Bottom