grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
After arguing with DH for two days about feed prices, I've decided to sell off my flock. Someone is asking after my favorite EEs and I'm really upset. I keep promising myself that if I sell them now, that someday I can buy more. Right?!
hit.gif

Soot and Cinder.

they are beautiful camping

camping, have you tried fermented feed? Lots of people, enola included, say that it really cuts down on the feed. I haven't tried it yet.

Also, growing kale is a way to cut the feed bill and improve health. I read a book about the poultry industry our area in the early 1900s, and they grew fields of kale for their birds. Usually the kids' job to pick leaves and put them through the chopper. Some of the egg farms had over 5000 hens! Egg capital of the world at the time.

I understand about the bucket thing. I don't have a good excuse either except being too disorganized to add another thing to my routine. My this winter....

Last edited:
Also, growing kale is a way to cut the feed bill and improve health.  I read a book about the poultry industry our area in the early 1900s, and they grew fields of kale for their birds.  Usually the kids' job to pick leaves and put them through the chopper.  Some of the egg farms had over 5000 hens!  Egg capital of the world at the time.

Was that yesterday we were talking about kale? Very interesting. I have thought of starting some boxes they could graze from. I have room for that in the yard.

Quote:
They can destroy young plants that way. I just pick the biggest leaves and toss them in the coop. My garden has to be fenced off anyway because the dogs will go through and eat my veggies! Belle loves kale and Scooter is always after green beans.
editing: Mine like curly leaf kale the best of the 3 types I've tried.

So you need to name the dog... A very personal thing I know, but since he is my Virtual Choc Lab, I can name him too. Thinking Boomer. It was the first thing I thought when I saw him!
smile.png
When Scooter showed up in a fluffy frenzy, we tried all sorts of names. When I tried "Scooter!", he turned his head and sat down. Instant name! Took 3 days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom