grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
More!
th.gif

hahahaaa still need to find a frizzle besides I have 2 roosters and only 5 hens

Quote: Wow! get busy outside for one day and I'm 65 posts behind!
I sadly took a double hit from Marek's. First last year, thought I finally lost everyone I was going to (didn't know at first what I was dealing with) then in early spring I lost 2 adult hens. The one broke my heart. She was so sweet, and a spoiled brat that loved to launch herself and surprise land on my shoulder or other parts if I was bending over. I really thought we would grow old together. Anyway, all I have left now are 3 18 month old Aussies that came from Cackle Hatchery w/Marek's vaccinated and one 2 1/2 yr old red sex-link. I lost the rest of her "sisters". They came from another hatchery that was "supposed" to vaccinate but found out too late that they had not. Why this one made it I have no idea (it was one of these that also made it until this last spring). I have no clue where the Marek's came from unless one of the last of my surviving original rescued hens was a carrier. Anyway, I am now maintaining my little closed flock while I spend the winter drooling over poultry catalogs and trying to decide if I want to expand my Aussie flock or ask Santa (aka DH) to finance me for one of the more "exotic" Scandinavian breeds.

That's so sad. The Mareks is carried by wild birds, and from what I've read it stays in the environment for a long time. Getting vaccinated chicks doesn't insure that they don't get the virus, just usually prevents the paralytic form and it delays the tumors. Your best bet is to breed your own for resistance. If we all did that, Mareks wouldn't be such an issue. UCDavis avian vet said the vaccines only provide partial protection; stuff the hatcheries get is a bit more effective than what backyarders can get. Hope I didn't burst your bubble. You can still have a great flock, but they are always at risk.

Thank you for the welcome Twisted, Granny and Wishing! My part of the northwoods is northern Wisconsin. We are on 65 acres (mostly low ground) with an itty bitty house surrounded on 3 sides by a 1000 acres of beautiful "wild".
Do you have a big flock or have you resisted the chicken math?
Wow! get busy outside for one day and I'm 65 posts behind! I sadly took a double hit from Marek's. First last year, thought I finally lost everyone I was going to (didn't know at first what I was dealing with) then in early spring I lost 2 adult hens. The one broke my heart. She was so sweet, and a spoiled brat that loved to launch herself and surprise land on my shoulder or other parts if I was bending over. I really thought we would grow old together. Anyway, all I have left now are 3 18 month old Aussies that came from Cackle Hatchery w/Marek's vaccinated and one 2 1/2 yr old red sex-link. I lost the rest of her "sisters". They came from another hatchery that was "supposed" to vaccinate but found out too late that they had not. Why this one made it I have no idea (it was one of these that also made it until this last spring). I have no clue where the Marek's came from unless one of the last of my surviving original rescued hens was a carrier. Anyway, I am now maintaining my little closed flock while I spend the winter drooling over poultry catalogs and trying to decide if I want to expand my Aussie flock or ask Santa (aka DH) to finance me for one of the more "exotic" Scandinavian breeds.
Hi chicki, you sleep for ten minutes around here & you could end up being 10 pages behind lol. I love drooling over the catalogs & eBay just to see all the different breeds available. Never knew there were so many different breeds of birds. I purchased hatching eggs from a local breeder this year for 3 different breeds I haven't had before. They are Icelandic, Salmon Favourelle (sp)? & Swedish Flower Hen. Personalities are similar, but the Icelandic seem to be a skittish breed. My 3 are getting better, but they are definetly a breed that dont enjoy being handled. I'm fine with that, just don't want them freaking out everytime I come near them.

Last edited:
Quote: yep, me too. I paid ALOT to have 5 Aussie pullet chicks special shipped (packing for them was truly superior BTW) only had room for 3 at the time so I gave 2 to my friend/neighbor. Both of them turned out to be roos!!! That's a pretty bad average out of 5 birds. Birds were all alive and healthy but I am a bit disappointed with the size tho they are looking a lot better now after their first molt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom