grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    Thank enola, just made my first container yesterday, but like the sound of yours better. I will tweek mine a bit when I feed out from it.

2. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    A local feed store and sometimes tsc.

3. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    You just made my life simpler enola lol. No stirring everyday sounds great to me.

4. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Congratulations chicken lady on 3000 post!! :weee :weee shhhh I'm hoping no one would notice I've only been here for not even a year. :oops: Was hoping people that seen the post count would just say (this guy has a lot of experience from all the post he has ). And hoping they didn't look at the joined date :lau. I'm now going to look at your join date. For all I know you may be holding that big mouth trophy by yourself. :gig. Just kidding. Congratulations.

5. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    It's Tuesday! That's mean update on Ben!

I took him out to the yard with a bag of treats. The birds were all safely locked away. He knew I had the treats, and responded well when I said "leave it!" I gave the command when he would get still, ears up, and zone in. Y'all know what I mean. He came straight back and sat at my feet almost every time. Progress is progress! :celebrate

And now for pics!

[​IMG]

Check out that body condition! :highfive:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't they look just like long lost best friends?? :love

Edit: I know he needs more work before he's to be trusted around chickens, but I was afraid that he was learning to bump my fist when I said leave it, not avoid the thing I was talking about. So now I know the concept is there. I'm not totally sure how to proceed because he's not trying to get the bait treats anymore. Do I have to drop a fresh one each time? After the first time I tell him to leave it, he doesn't bother it anymore.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  6. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Question about eating deer: Are bucks good to eat? Are they good to eat during rut? In CA, you can only hunt bucks. Does are not taken. I had venison once when I was a kid and thought it was really strong tasting, not so great.

7. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Both dogs look great, camping! Ben doesn't look like he's wearing his skeleton Halloween costume any more. [​IMG]

One warning for the future- I have found that a trustworthy dog's behavior can change when with another dog. Ben may do really well with his training, but might "pack up" with your other dog and go hunt chickens, even though neither would do it on their own. Of course, none of mine were expertly trained like Mutt's. Just something to watch for in the future.

8. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

I can't taste a difference. I love venison and we got spoiled to the abundant deer in MS. We ate it in EVERYTHING. I don't enjoy ground beef and rarely use if because of the cost and the fat. Venison is very lean. I don't like it by itself, though, because it can be a little gamey. Makes perfect chili, though.

Thanks! I'll def remember that. With our last two, the cav and the lab, neither left our sides unless they were together. Then they would adventure a day or two. So we had to let them out separately, or have one leashed. I get afraid of the same thing with these two. :oops:

9. napdognewfie

napdognewfie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2014
    western MD
    Here's my polish.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. jane s chickens

jane s chickens Chicken Obsessed

Nov 10, 2014
    Alabama

Soak it overnight in salt water- brine before cooking. It makes it tender too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by