grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. napdognewfie

napdognewfie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2014
    western MD
    No thighs at all. Everyone is decently covered. Lol

2. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    which one are you granny?

3. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    the baby is my DD she is the thunder thighs .
    was kinda wondering if anyone would know which one I am.

4. napdognewfie

napdognewfie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2014
    western MD
    Babies don't get thunder thighs. Just chubby baby legs. Lol

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    back row right end . big grin.

6. Tumbling K

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    that ain't no purple mu-mu!!!

7. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    My observation so far with fermenting feed is as follows. Enola has posted how she does it & what feed items she uses. Go find that first to get basic concept of fermenting. I use 3 pails, on day one depending on the size of your container you add your dry ingredients. After a couple of weeks of feeding I'm getting a better idea what they are consuming in about a half an hour time frame. What I have been fermenting is 6 parts chicken feed of your choice & 1/2 part alfalfa pellets & 1/2 part of scratch grains/boss. Sometimes I add some oatmeal when I have it. Enola uses feed oats, but I just don't have enough space for another 50# bag of feed. Put this all in the first pail. Just be certain that whatever you are using as a part, like let's say a cup. That your pail has enough room for it to swell. The feed gets about twice the size after you add water. Cover feed with water, keep stiring & adding water until you have a slurry. Stop stiring & add a couple more inches of water to the top of the feed. You want it covering the feed. Check back periodically throughout the day to make sure the feed hasn't swelled higher than the water level. If so add more water until its covered. Now for those of you that want to use the horse alfalfa pellets these really swell so watch closely that first day that your water level stays above the feed. On the second day take a new pail, scoop out about a cup of water/feed from pail one & then repeat what you did with the first pail. Feed that day from pail one. I use a hand sieve to drain off most of the liquid back into the pail. Replenish what you took out of pail one. On day three take aprox 1 cup feed/water out of pail 2 & add to pail three. Then add all the usual ingredients. Feed from pail 2 today, replenishing what you used. Continue with this feeding pattern with all three pail other than having to place a cup of the feed into a new pail each day. You only have to do that when & if you have to start new pails. This should mean that with 3 pails the oldest your fermented feed is, is 3 days. After trial & error the past couple weeks, I have found that I like to only ferment enough feed in each pail for one days feeding. Otherwise I have had feed get too sour and the birds didnt like it.(this was of course when I was out of town for the weekend & the feed wasn't getting depleted & refreshed.) If your liquid starts getting too sour smelling after feeding out of it a few times start a fresh again. Never feed something that is growing mold or smells rotten. At the worst it should smell sour. I'm sure I've confused you all with these instructions, but just play with it, you'll figure it out sooner or later. Word of caution to those that have heard that fermented feed helps dry up the birds poo, if you are adding alfalfa pellets that will not be the case. Its like your birds when they have a chance to freerange in a grassy region. But the alfalfa does make the yolks nice & bright orange in color.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    no mu-mus yet. that was a few yrs. ago. LOL 35 yrs ...

9. Tumbling K

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    and can't even see your thighs...........

how disappointing.....lol

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by