grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well worst nightmare happened. I pull in the yard to find my dog with the broody in her mouth trying to rip her apart. I hollered at the dog and he left her alone. To my surprise She got up and run. Her tail is almost ripped off and the wing may be broke. I washed her good ,poured peroxide on the wounds and then triple ointment. I have no idea how to keep a bandage on it. Looked where the dog had busted through the kennel to get her and the egg that I thought was zipping had hatched. Got the chick and the eggs under the heat lamp. When can I try to get the baby to drink? And how do I do it. This may quality as one of my worst days of my life. I blame no one but myself. I should've never left the dog out but I have everyday and nothing has happened. I know that a coyote could've done the same . Know I know unfortunately.

Well worst nightmare happened. I pull in the yard to find my dog with the broody in her mouth trying to rip her apart. I hollered at the dog and he left her alone. To my surprise She got up and run. Her tail is almost ripped off and the wing may be broke. I washed her good ,poured peroxide on the wounds and then triple ointment. I have no idea how to keep a bandage on it. Looked where the dog had busted through the kennel to get her and the egg that I thought was zipping had hatched. Got the chick and the eggs under the heat lamp. When can I try to get the baby to drink? And how do I do it. This may quality as one of my worst days of my life. I blame no one but myself. I should've never left the dog out but I have everyday and nothing has happened. I know that a coyote could've done the same . Know I know unfortunately.
Can you bring the hen inside and make a little nest for her where you can watch her and the chick and eggs?

-Kathy

Can you bring the hen inside and make a little nest for her where you can watch her and the chick and eggs?

-Kathy
I've done that. She hasn't sit on them yet. I put them under her and she stood and is still standing. Ok she's sitting on them now. Should I bring the chick in here with her or keep it under the lamp? How and when can I teach the little one to drink if she stays under the lamp?

Wow Red.
hugs.gif
mama probably needs some heat too. dont worry about water tonight for the baby. In the morning just do like you did for your silkies. remember the stones in the water and just dip its little beak in. you can give the hen a baby aspirin for pain.

I just walked the yard with Ben. Want y'all to see how good he's being:

And then this of course lets me know the message has really sunk in clear. :lau

Needed you to train my dog lol.

Yay so excited for you Red, maybe you will get back to a little fuzzy butt. For the rest of you wondering minds I explained to red after learning all the facts that the egg he brought into the house was malpositioned, chick was head down in the small end & that momma probably was helping it so it could breath. And that since he didn't have a thermometer & that it could be up to 24 hrs before this chick absorbed its yoke that probably the best chance he had of it surviving was under momma. But when he goes to take the egg back out to carry it cupped in his hand & gently put it back in the nest under momma from the backside. This way she won't see it & if she was intending harm the first go around that maybe she wouldn't bother it anymore. Prayers for you Red that your momma has a successful hatch.

Thanks Lisa. Right call I just screwed up.

Back from the Dr. I'm good. Now I have arthritis pills so I won't have to be miserable this winter. It rained all night and I woke up hurting. As soon as the sun came out and it warmed up, I was ok.

I'm available for emergency phone calls now Red. Lol
newfie I'm sorry. I looked and looked through our pm s and found ur number then my phone died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom