grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    you can inject under the skin. I had to do that. back of neck is good. safe guard is what i used last. I dont think they had worms though. I have heard chickens dont normally get tape worm so I would try the safe guard.

2. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    The antibiotics and wormers can disrupt the good bacteria in the gut. Some plain yogurt with active cultures really help if you don't have probiotics.

3. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy Premium Member

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    My SIL has Ivermectin, should I see about using hers & how much would he get? Or should I try the safeguard goat wormer & what would be the dosage?

4. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy Premium Member

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    they have all been on a vit. water all winter, but I will add some probiotics. Should I stop with the antibiotic water then?

5. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Are there any worms in his stool now? I know they can have worms without us seeing them, but if he isn't horribly infested, maybe it would be better to let him regain strength first. I'm not an expert at all, so maybe see what everyone else says.

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    I honestly dont know Lisa, If he lost all his weight in a week that would have to be a heavy infestation. have you seen any more? I did both but dont know if i should have or not. they had mites so i put the ivermectin under the wings in a bare spot. just a small pea sized amount then the safe guard. I cant find my book telling dose but if no one knows i will hunt it up.

7. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    How long has he been on the antibiotics? Seen any improvement? Are there any other symptoms? Maybe it's not doing him any good.

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Ivermectin only kills mites on chickens, not worms. Is he on antibiotics now? Is he eating or more importantly drinking?

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What does his poop look like? Is there anything in his crop?

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Enola, They have to eat the ivermectin for the worms?? I know its not very good for worms . the worms have built a resistance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by