grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does help, I also give them boss before bed time. I normally toss about a cup on the floor of the coop for 25 hens. Gives them that little bit of extra protein to keep them warm at night.

Just be certain to have grit free choice in their coop in the winter if their run is snow covered. They will need that to break down the boss. I'm sure you know this though if you are already feeding them oats.
Boss? What's that? Snow???? What's that? My poor hens live in semi desert. 110 day, 65 night in summer, but winter does get and stay cold by our standards with open air ventilated coops. I don't have grit, but our soil here is DG. Decomposed granite. Little pebbily rocks and granules. Hope that's enough.

WOW
ep.gif
bales of 2nd cutting alpha is about $3.00 a standard bale here. Second cutting is usually pure alpha up here.
he.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
$15.00/bale for #2, $18.00/bale for orchard or timothy. No H20 for crops and gas prices. Still over $3./gal here. Was $4.89. I HATE this state.

It does help, I also give them boss before bed time. I normally toss about a cup on the floor of the coop for 25 hens. Gives them that little bit of extra protein to keep them warm at night.

Just be certain to have grit free choice in their coop in the winter if their run is snow covered. They will need that to break down the boss. I'm sure you know this though if you are already feeding them oats.

Boss? What's that? Snow???? What's that? My poor hens live in semi desert. 110 day, 65 night in summer, but winter does get and stay cold by our standards with open air ventilated coops. I don't have grit, but our soil here is DG. Decomposed granite. Little pebbily rocks and granules. Hope that's enough. 
Boss is just black sunflower seeds, tried to share a picture of our winter snow, but of course photo upload is not working again. What you have for soil is perfect for grit. But yikes, you can have your temps. I think I would even suffer snow over your climate. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom