grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hubby found an injured squirrel (swollen eye, large gash in it's side we are thinking cat got to it possibly, def. a fight of some sort) in the driveway. We now have it outside in an old cage. I wrapped it up in a towel, covered the cage and gave it food and water but I feel like since it's so cold it will not heal it needs warmth. The hub says no it's used to the cold. On animal shows they always ring injured animals inside right away and keep them as warm as possible. We are having a disagreement on proper squirrel care lol

Bet shows do keep animals in a brooder sort of environment mainly cause they have had meds that lower heart rate or go under surgery... Your brooder lamp will work the same.

She a cutie Red, hopefully its a gal. If the comb stays pretty flat then I would say girl, but if the size if its comb bumps out then I would lean towards a male.

Araucana and Ameraucana breeds lay blue eggs most of the time. Some EE's lay blue eggs. Cream Legbars are advertised as blue egg layers, but some strains of them lay green eggs.

If I were going to try to breed for pullets that lay blue eggs, I would start with hens that laid blue eggs and use a rooster from a white egg breed.
What ever cross you decide to use, try to stay away from white leghorns, they have a glossy coating on their eggs that really dilutes the amount of blue that shows through.

I sure wish I could wrap my brain around this.

Glad you got them Hun, you'll get leveled back out
1f60a.png

X2

Very handsome young man, he's going to be a heartbreaker
1f60a.png
X2

3 week old Silkies & Silkie mixes out with momma today. Suppose to storm tomorrow so took advantage of the warmer temps today.

Too cute.

How old is she Red? Does it have any comb or wattle development?
12 weeks . I see a small comb that's black looking and I don't see wattles.

I have a cat that looks just like yours! Her name is Eve.
lol he's fat as a hog. His name is izzy.

Hubby found an injured squirrel (swollen eye, large gash in it's side we are thinking cat got to it possibly, def. a fight of some sort) in the driveway. We now have it outside in an old cage. I wrapped it up in a towel, covered the cage and gave it food and water but I feel like since it's so cold it will not heal it needs warmth. The hub says no it's used to the cold. On animal shows they always ring injured animals inside right away and keep them as warm as possible. We are having a disagreement on proper squirrel care lol

you can go to the top of the page where it says forum and slide down . A side bar will open and there is one that says Other pets. I agree with hubby, probably dont need extra heat but what are your temps. ? Did it eat what you gave it ? If its in shock then heat would be in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom