Grape leaves? Really?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by girlychick, Jul 12, 2010.

1. girlychick

girlychick Chillin' With My Peeps

hi everyone,
    I have a question(duh!) Anways my chickens for some reason just love...grape leaves [​IMG] .
    There from my dad's grape vine and if one of them blows in there run they'll fight crazy over it! I mean crazy like with corn..but crazier! O_O
    Anyways, I am just wondering is it bad for them and if they eat one occasionally will they... [​IMG] die? Ok please let me know thanks!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Not sure..
    I know that people eat them....so...

3. girlychick

girlychick Chillin' With My Peeps

They do? Grape leaves? weird...

4. jeb251

jeb251 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    when I was a kid, my dad was a wine grape farm but by the house we had table grapes and our chickens loved them, the ate them all the time and it never hurt them a bit, I am planting grapevines around my 6 new coops as soon as they are done, I'm sure they will love that

5. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Grape leaves are fine for the chickens as long as they haven't been sprayed with fungicides or anything like that. Mine eat grape leaves all the time. People eat them too in all kinds of stuff.

6. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Quote:Grapes grow like crazy! I constantly take off long shoots and throw them to the chickens. I never even thought to think it could hurt them. they love them!!

7. NanoByte

NanoByte Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Sydney
    my mum eats grape leaves and puts them in her tea so they'd be fine for chickens/.

8. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    They are fine as long as they don't have chemicals on them. The greens are good for your birds; I like to clip extra grass/weeds/overgrown things in my garden and toss them to the chickens. They love to play with and eat that stuff.

9. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    Mmm... Dolmades... herbed rice and/or meat on the inside, grape leaves rolled around that and marinated in olive oil and lemon juice... a staple of Greek/middle eastern cuisine. Good stuff. The leaves are fine for chickens and humans alike, and now I have a real hankering to cook.

The thing I can't figure out is why my pullets go nuts for hickory leaves. There is a big hickory stump in the run that still sprouts leaves near the base every year, and the birds all sit around chomping it till it's bare. I'm not concerned, because 2 years ago my first round of birds did exactly the same thing, but still. It's weird. They'll ignore the tasty fresh greens I give them just to eat HICKORY LEAVES! Has anyone seen this?

10. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Mine seem to love the wild grape leaves behind their pen. As yet it hasn't hurt them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by