Graphic Photos in post* Dead poult

fuzziecreatures

Songster
8 Years
May 2, 2011
Southwestern PA, Flock since 5/2011
Turkeys are 5 weeks old, they have been on the ground for 2 1/2 weeks now. I noted blood tinged stool last saturday and started Corid in their water. A poult was noted to be lethargic, inappetance, forced to drink. My husband is terrified of blackhead in the turkeys. I am guessing it is just coccidia. All poults alive this am, all but one are running around crazy. One still a little blah. My husband checked on them at 2pm to give them their scrambled eggs and the poult was dead. Husband sees occasional yellow poop but don't they have ceacal poops like chickens.
Did a brief necropsy on the turkey to look at liver and intestines. 6-7 hrs post mortem

It's blackhead. Go to the grocery and get them cayenne pepper. put it in their feed and mix it until you can see the powder relatively well, also mix with their water. I have chocolate poults that I just cleared up, albeit we lost two before I checked around. Once fed their poop should return to normal in 24 hours (aka not foamy and yellow.) Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Along with the Cayenne I also give my birds Oil of Oregano

My flock is large (over 50 chickens with 3 adult Br's and 12 BR poults)
I take 1/2 cup vegetable oil and to that I ad 10-12 drops pure (100%) oregano oil. I then pour that mixture over 8-10 cups of feed and mix well, ad a couple tbsp. Cayenne pepper and mix again. Pour into feeder.

My Turkey hen was showing signs of Coccidiosis, she was lethargic, not eating and standing most of the day in one place with her head down, this was what her poo looked like..

I had already lost two other turkeys a month or so before and was frantic. I am a member of a local homesteaders group and put out the call for help, an herbalist responded with the above remedy. Since then I have learned that most turkey farms regularly ad oregano oil to the feed.. I now make it a weekly regiment to my entire flock including the chicks once they go to a grow out pen and haven't had anymore issues.

I have also read that garlic helps too, although it takes a little longer to build up in their system and have an effect like the cayenne does. I have 2 broad breasted white turkeys that we raised with chicks and 1 of them started to show signs of blackhead and I freaked out not knowing if it was infected or not, I immediately started feeding cayenne and garlic to the turkeys and chickens and it seemed to work! All the birds are alive and well. Sorry for your loss :(

Also apple cider vinegar too, mixed in with their water. I read a lot of people saying that their birds liked it but mine didn't care for that too much. But I guess all of that helped

We ended up losing 4 birds total. We treated with Metronidazole for 5 days after talking with the vet at the diagnostics lab and describing what we were seeing. They are doing better. My husband is also putting cayenne powder in their feed and their scrambled eggs he makes for them every morning

Treatment for blackhead is metronidazole. The minimum effective dose according to the AAAP Avian Disease Manual is 30 mg per 2.2 pounds orally once a day for five days, but I have read about vets prescribing up to 50 mg per kg twice day for five or more days. One also needs to treat for cecal worms with something like fenbendazole. The fenbendazole dose I use is 50 mg per kg orally once and repeat in 10 days.

Fishzole is 250mg metronidazole. It comes 30 pills to a bottle and 60 pills to a bottle.

Meditrich is 100mg metronidazole.
http://www.jedds.com/shop/meditrich-100-tablets-medpet/

Ebay also has these items, so shop around!

-Kathy

Last edited:
We ended up losing 4 birds total. We treated with Metronidazole for 5 days after talking with the vet at the diagnostics lab and describing what we were seeing. They are doing better. My husband is also putting cayenne powder in their feed and their scrambled eggs he makes for them every morning
Sorry for your losses.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom