GRAPHIC PICS Attacked by other Hen(s)

Today has been another day of healing. Walking around more with her BFF eating & drinking together.
I am keeping her neck covered with Bacitracin oint. She takes naps but, not as frequently today. She's sitting on their little roost today preening the area's she can reach. Her poop is good and her crop was empty this morning.
I don't think she is out of the woods yet but, I'm hopeful at this point.
I'll keep updating. Thank you for everyone's encouraging words and help.

Attachments

• 20200630_202020.jpg
    20200630_202020.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200630_202020.jpg
    20200630_202020.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 5
Should I be giving her some kind of broad spectrum antibiotics?

As you are already applying the antibiotic ointment I would not use more antibiotics, at least not at this point. But you want to monitor closely in case any signs of general infection might appear.

And by spiriting her the GF will contribute to the healing.

Today has been another day of healing. Walking around more with her BFF eating & drinking together.
I am keeping her neck covered with Bacitracin oint. She takes naps but, not as frequently today. She's sitting on their little roost today preening the area's she can reach. Her poop is good and her crop was empty this morning.
I don't think she is out of the woods yet but, I'm hopeful at this point.
I'll keep updating. Thank you for everyone's encouraging words and help.

I am glad to hear that she is making such a good process. Keep up the good care and she will soon be out and about, I'm sure! :cool:

What's the name of your cute German Shepherd?

As you are already applying the antibiotic ointment I would not use more antibiotics, at least not at this point. But you want to monitor closely in case any signs of general infection might appear.

And by spiriting her the GF will contribute to the healing.

I am glad to hear that she is making such a good process. Keep up the good care and she will soon be out and about, I'm sure! :cool:

What's the name of your cute German Shepherd?
Thank you. That's our precious sometimes Bull headed Sasha. She is our 7 year old King Shepard. I've been training her around the babies and the big girls. We've been working on herding them up when they are free ranging. I'm training her because, previously, she's has injured and then killed one of the neighbors chickens when it wondered into our property and brought it to me very happy about it. I almost died. Therefore, I've been training her and never allow her to be unsupervised with the chickens. I can train her all I want and we have earned her advanced obience certificates but, the fact is...Shes a dog with a high prey drive and still catches squirrels and brings them to me as my "gift". So, I have to be very careful. The only reason I know she didnt harm my lil chick is.. She was with me inside the house.

Attachments

• 20190812_190538.jpg
    20190812_190538.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20190427_182707.jpg
    20190427_182707.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200331_220504.jpg
    20200331_220504.jpg
    572.4 KB · Views: 4
Graphic Pics.
I have 1 Black White Crested Polish Pullet. She was in the run as shes been for two weeks now with 6 laying pullets.
She is 8 weeks old. Loads of room, and secret hinding places BUT,
I found her and her female mate together in an open corner.
Her neck was torn open.
Here are pictures.
I immediately picked her up and brought her in. Trimmed the feathers to get a good look.
The skin is separated from her head and all sides where its bald.
To not traumatize her more, I did not clean it but coated Bacitracin all over it. Covered it and secured it with black self stick wrap.
Her little GF was yelling so badly I also brought her in.
I gave her hydro-Hen and letting her rest.
What else can I do?
I have to tell you..Im crying crying now.
Poor baby I would keep them separated till they are bigger and you will have to keep her in till healed so the flies don't get her

Tonight, I was able to trim more feathers on lil Punkie girl. I gently washed her wounds with a srugical soap. Ever so gently patted them dry. Applied Triple antibiotic oint liberally. I was able to see more areas of damage. She and her bff walked around on the screened porch for about 30 min. I could tell that wore her out. Then, she ate and drank water. Poop is good. I tucked her in next to her bff cage. They jibbered back and forth. I could hear Punkie telling her BFF how I cut off more feathers, washed her ect..
The entire time I was doing this, she was quiet but her BFF was yelling, squawking, dumped over her dishes ect. So, lil cotton top Punkie had to tell her the story. I did tell her she is healing and her head dress will look beautiful again soon!
The pictures show Blu-kote and triple Antibiotic Oint on her wounds.
Poor baby I would keep them separated till they are bigger and you will have to keep her in till healed so the flies don't get her
She and her BFF will be staying inside until she is 100% because it's very hot and humid outside and the flys and mosquitoes are terrible right now.
We decided I will not be integrating them again. We will build them there own lil "Polish Girls Only" Coop (I'm .27% Polish- lol) and section off a (see but, not able to touch) in an enclosed run to protect them from the big girls and aerial & ground preditors.
As suggested, I will occasionally trim the head dress feathers around their lil faces too. As a new chicken keeper, I never thought of the ramifications when adding Polish Chicks to the regular Big Girls.
I read all about the process and began it early. But, now that I've learned so much about the Polish Breed, their needs and the precautions, we will just build them a cute coop.
I bought these two on an "adorable chick" moment, before I did any research!!!! Ugg, my bad, because lil Cotton Top Punkie Girl was on the recieving end of my learning curve and I feel terrible about it.
I've been listening to what you all experienced Chicken Keepers have to say. I appreciate all the help and encouragement. Thank you.
I did tell lil Punkie that her head dress will look beautiful again.
The first picture is them on my screened in porch. The last picture is "Becky" watching her BFF do something. I am conducive to any/all recommendations to help her heal up. Thank you!!

Attachments

• 20200701_194257.jpg
    20200701_194257.jpg
    543 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200701_231956.jpg
    20200701_231956.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200701_214002.jpg
    20200701_214002.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200701_213804.jpg
    20200701_213804.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200701_213018.jpg
    20200701_213018.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 4
Tonight, I was able to trim more feathers on lil Punkie girl. I gently washed her wounds with a srugical soap. Ever so gently patted them dry. Applied Triple antibiotic oint liberally. I was able to see more areas of damage. She and her bff walked around on the screened porch for about 30 min. I could tell that wore her out. Then, she ate and drank water. Poop is good. I tucked her in next to her bff cage. They jibbered back and forth. I could hear Punkie telling her BFF how I cut off more feathers, washed her ect..
The entire time I was doing this, she was quiet but her BFF was yelling, squawking, dumped over her dishes ect. So, lil cotton top Punkie had to tell her the story. I did tell her she is healing and her head dress will look beautiful again soon!
The pictures show Blu-kote and triple Antibiotic Oint on her wounds.

Thank you. That's our precious sometimes Bull headed Sasha. She is our 7 year old King Shepard. I've been training her around the babies and the big girls. We've been working on herding them up when they are free ranging. I'm training her because, previously, she's has injured and then killed one of the neighbors chickens when it wondered into our property and brought it to me very happy about it. I almost died. Therefore, I've been training her and never allow her to be unsupervised with the chickens. I can train her all I want and we have earned her advanced obience certificates but, the fact is...Shes a dog with a high prey drive and still catches squirrels and brings them to me as my "gift". So, I have to be very careful. The only reason I know she didnt harm my lil chick is.. She was with me inside the house.

Beautiful pictures of Sasha, particularly the one in action! :love

She and her BFF will be staying inside until she is 100% because it's very hot and humid outside and the flys and mosquitoes are terrible right now.
We decided I will not be integrating them again. We will build them there own lil "Polish Girls Only" Coop (I'm .27% Polish- lol) and section off a (see but, not able to touch) in an enclosed run to protect them from the big girls and aerial & ground preditors.

A very good decision! I am sure a "Polish Girls Only" Coop is the best as chickens that are not raised with crested breeds most certainly will not accept them which might go as far as the Polish or Silkies being killed.

The way you are describing "Little Cotton Top Punkie's adventures" in the sanatorium is fun to read and entertaining in spite of the gruesome occasion.

Back
Top Bottom