GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

I have a few weeks until I'll have any that need the procedure. I brought all of the boys I had! I have some week old chicks that the cockerals will be my first solo attempts.

I have several that are the size of the 4 week olds but after doing that little white one, I feel that they are just too small. I think I will wait until they are a bit older, maybe 6 or 8 week size and see how it goes. Hopefully it will be somewhere in the middle of the two I did. LOL

I also still have Am. white bresse that are a few weeks old now that I need to sex first, select my breeders and caponize after the 13.5 roos left and the 2 haffies and 4 ayam cemani roos I have. Yes. I just counted 20 not including any white bresse yet.

We will get better at this very soon I hope. Within the next few weeks. *gasp* but I have much faith in my bf and the help and advice of this thread and everyone in it.

I have several that are the size of the 4 week olds but after doing that little white one, I feel that they are just too small. I think I will wait until they are a bit older, maybe 6 or 8 week size and see how it goes. Hopefully it will be somewhere in the middle of the two I did. LOL

That white one was tiny. I think I will stick with 6 to 10 weeks, my guys were 13 and pretty willy on the table!!!

That white one was tiny. I think I will stick with 6 to 10 weeks, my guys were 13 and pretty willy on the table!!!

I got to thinking about it and I think my babies out in the cage in the coop are older than 6 weeks. I will have to look it up but I don't really have any way to be sure which babies went to which hatching. I'm going to have to find a way to "mark" them. Maybe colored zip ties for different clutches when they hatch. I though about permanent markers but I don't know how quickly the colors would fade and I thought about nail polish but if the sun hits it just right, the others will peck it off. The rings are too big and very difficult to get off if they grow enough that the rings are getting snug. I used some of those latex rubber bands but forgot I put them on my silkies and their legs swelled, got a sore all the way around their leg and the rubber band cut into their legs. Everyone is ok now but I was so scared they would die or lose a leg. I won't do that again. I need to find another way. Putting them in separate cages is a good idea but I think I have seen that they don't grow properly when they are confined. It looks like when I let them out of their cages they grow by leaps and bounds in just a week where it didn't look like they were growing at all in the cages. I put them in the cages because they are fully feathered but still small enough to go through the chain link fence of the run. We are building onto our coop and when it is done we are going to adjust the chain link panels and put that 1/2 inch wire in an apron around it and more above that to keep the predators out.

I really like the 8ish week age. Their testes are still very small, but there is more room.

I got to thinking about it and I think my babies out in the cage in the coop are older than 6 weeks. I will have to look it up but I don't really have any way to be sure which babies went to which hatching. I'm going to have to find a way to "mark" them. Maybe colored zip ties for different clutches when they hatch. I though about permanent markers but I don't know how quickly the colors would fade and I thought about nail polish but if the sun hits it just right, the others will peck it off. The rings are too big and very difficult to get off if they grow enough that the rings are getting snug. I used some of those latex rubber bands but forgot I put them on my silkies and their legs swelled, got a sore all the way around their leg and the rubber band cut into their legs. Everyone is ok now but I was so scared they would die or lose a leg. I won't do that again. I need to find another way. Putting them in separate cages is a good idea but I think I have seen that they don't grow properly when they are confined. It looks like when I let them out of their cages they grow by leaps and bounds in just a week where it didn't look like they were growing at all in the cages. I put them in the cages because they are fully feathered but still small enough to go through the chain link fence of the run. We are building onto our coop and when it is done we are going to adjust the chain link panels and put that 1/2 inch wire in an apron around it and more above that to keep the predators out.

What about fancy or colored duct tape "bands". Don't stick the duct tape to the leg, but cut a notch out of each end, fold long ways and use the notched ends to stick to itself. You can put a piece of tape on a paper in a notebook or whatever w/ the hatch date. That way you can't run out of colors, there are just to many. You can increase size as you need to.

What about fancy or colored duct tape "bands". Don't stick the duct tape to the leg, but cut a notch out of each end, fold long ways and use the notched ends to stick to itself. You can put a piece of tape on a paper in a notebook or whatever w/ the hatch date. That way you can't run out of colors, there are just to many. You can increase size as you need to.
That's a good idea. I think duct tape even comes in colors and patterns now.

Oh, that is what you said. Sorry.

Last edited:
I lost my little black capon this morning. He is the one we thought we were going to lose, because he was gasping for breath. I really thought he was going to make it, he was fine yesterday. The white one is fine, but he was huddled by his buddy this morning. He has a bit of an air bubble in his side, but I held him for a bit and most of it was released. I am sure he will have a lonely day today, but I am afraid to put one of his hatchmate pullets with him still recovering......

I lost my little black capon this morning. He is the one we thought we were going to lose, because he was gasping for breath. I really thought he was going to make it, he was fine yesterday. The white one is fine, but he was huddled by his buddy this morning. He has a bit of an air bubble in his side, but I held him for a bit and most of it was released. I am sure he will have a lonely day today, but I am afraid to put one of his hatchmate pullets with him still recovering......

Mine ran w/ the uncut hatchmates from day one post procedure w/o incident. The cut can't be seen by the other chickens so they won't mess w/ it.

Back
Top Bottom