GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

I am not talking about feed conversion, I am talking about the decision to recaponize a bird where you know you had a slip 2 weeks after the first failed attempt.

Still a lot of growing potential left in that bird.

Gotcha.
smile.png
I wouldn't put the bird through it twice, that's just me.

I'm thinking recipes every time I look at my chicks growing. When they hit 1 -1/2 to 2lbs, I'm thinking spatchcock. Another week later - fryers. If they are hitting 6 or 7lbs by 24 weeks (POL for my EOs) Then I'll truss that rascal up and roast him. Older than that - it's gonna be low and slow with moisture.

Capons aren't miracle birds, it just takes something that's already good and makes it better, without a bunch of randy sparring and pestering the pullets.

-- so this time it happened again.. 3 times and i finally just stuck my fingers in there.. to feel.

-- I've now decided its preferable to search with fingers<regardless of sanitation> because the string alone works to sever the gland.

As far as sanitation goes, I used nitrile surgical gloves while I was being mentored by Maggiesdad. My DW is a nurse so I had plenty of these available. The gloves are pretty cheap and provide you with the necessary tactile feeling and control as well as minimizing the introduction of bacterial and other contaminates into the bird's body cavity. For those of you who may be sensitive to latex gloves, the nitrile gloves eliminate that concern as well.

Capons aren't miracle birds, it just takes something that's already good and makes it better, without a bunch of randy sparring and pestering the pullets.
Perhaps not a miracle, but the idea of marbled and succulent meat with great flavor sounds to me that it just might be worth the trouble and the extra feed.

I doubt many folks raising birds could match the big poultry giants for cheap protein.

good point.. Hapless.
I wished i had some .. i had 2 types of disinfectant to dip fingers in prior to doing that. it still is a concern.   
You can get latex gloves at places like Lowes or Home Depot, I think. There is a place called Harbor Freight that has them close to where I live. I don't know about the nitrile gloves, but either one would work as long as you don't have a latex allergy.

You can get latex gloves at places like Lowes or Home Depot, I think. There is a place called Harbor Freight that has them close to where I live. I don't know about the nitrile gloves, but either one would work as long as you don't have a latex allergy.

I think that Costco and Sams may them as well. Also, drug stores should be able to get them, too. They come in boxes of 50-100.

Last edited:
Sharing thoughts about the "right time" to Caponize. Advantages to younger and older.

After doing several 5 mo old Roosters.. and looking to the future, I had thought the best time if you know your going to raise capons .. would be the younger - 1 lb stage of development.

I am also raising some Jersey Giant's from eggs to improve my Flock. The Hatchery birds i got last Nov. are just now getting large enough to show size and shape.. I could foresee an advantage, for me any how, in learning how to do older birds. I'll want to wait till they get a major part of growth before selecting the best roosters. Also .. in selecting for temperament I think they may need to be this age or older.

Special needs for doing older birds
I really like the spreader's I got for Poco.. they work great for the smaller birds.
I think i would like to add one of those Gelpi spreaders.. because the larger birds have more muscle thickness and the spreaders i have will only go so deep in the tissue or slip some times during the process.

If any one here has the gelpi..
? I'd be interested to know the measurement of the curved part of the spreader. It looks to be about 1/2 inch.

?? What is the measure ment of the opening the gelpi can spread to??

Thanks for your help

Most Walmart's have them or other drug stores in the first aid or diabetes sections.

Back
Top Bottom