GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Boy or girl, 2nd round. The silkie that I couldn't locate testes.

I think that's a girl. She has a puffy ball of head hair instead of being slicked back. I can usually tell Silkie gender by how they act more so than looks when especially young. The boys are seemingly always chest bumping and showing off while the girls act like little ladies.

I think that's a girl. She has a puffy ball of head hair instead of being slicked back. I can usually tell Silkie gender by how they act more so than looks when especially young. The boys are seemingly always chest bumping and showing off while the girls act like little ladies.

I just got it so don't really know it's behavior yet. These silkies are no way to tell!

OM, exhausted. Started this morning a tad leisurely, getting things together. I think the first bird hit the table at about 10am. Light gave me fits because I did not take the time to attach the light to my glasses properly. Then of course there was the bird. Never did find its jewels. 0/1 - abet it left the table a live rooster.

Went to the shop and fixed the light problem. Found the testicles on bird 2 ok. They definitely did not want to be removed. Bird died seconds before I removed the second testicle. 0/2.

But that's said. Just cleared 5pm without much of a break. End score for the day - 10 live capons, one known slip, one rooster and one dead on the table. Not bad for a first day of on the job training.

2 more batches to go...

OM, exhausted. Started this morning a tad leisurely, getting things together. I think the first bird hit the table at about 10am. Light gave me fits because I did not take the time to attach the light to my glasses properly. Then of course there was the bird. Never did find its jewels. 0/1 - abet it left the table a live rooster.

Went to the shop and fixed the light problem. Found the testicles on bird 2 ok. They definitely did not want to be removed. Bird died seconds before I removed the second testicle. 0/2.

But that's said. Just cleared 5pm without much of a break. End score for the day - 10 live capons, one known slip, one rooster and one dead on the table. Not bad for a first day of on the job training.

2 more batches to go...

Great first day! Very respectable numbers, it only gets easier.

I was expecting to loose 3. That seems to be about the average number on first trys. I have have had 2 post op losses since my post. I am not overly depressed, but wish I could have beat projections. I did not mark the slip or the rooster - so not sure if the losses were capons or not.

I am intending to band them (as soon as I get some bands). I think I will be able to identify the rooster at that point, as it is the only single incision bird.
---
I had no real problems with the c clamps and weights. The C-clamps provided string guides between the birds and a place to tie the weights off (when I did not want pressure. By the end, I started tying both legs, and just rolling the bird over to do the flip side (I had to work from a different side of my table).

I will make a cage for fasting (and transporting birds). The hard bottom cage I let the birds use overnight made them quite dirty.

Last edited:
Kassaundra, my DD already thinks I am a hoarder. I've bought so much chicken stuff and I tell her save me the gallon jug from the OJ. Now I'm asking for old mismatched socks.
lau.gif
(for the sprouting). She's already gone from rolling her eyes to talk of intervention.
gig.gif
I keep telling her I have an agenda.

Back
Top Bottom