GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

The younger the bird is when caponized, the less likely he will crow as an adult. For me, the ideal age to caponize is between six and eight weeks of age. I've caponized birds that were a year old, and some stopped crowing within a week. Others that same age infrequently crowed after being caponized but lost interest in the hens, and some crowed and chased the hens acting like they still had all their man parts. All of their combs and wattles got lighter in color and shrank, and they were less active and started to put on weight, but some never un-learned rooster behaviors, like crowing.

If you're planning to caponize older birds, watch the comb and wattles during the procedure. A blue comb will signal the bird is distressed. One can remove the right testicle and wait a week to allow the bird to recover fully before attempting the left side. I know this is time-consuming, but if you are caponizing a rooster that's a pet, this is one way to reduce the risk to the bird.

The younger the bird is when caponized, the less likely he will crow as an adult. For me, the ideal age to caponize is between six and eight weeks of age. I've caponized birds that were a year old, and some stopped crowing within a week. Others that same age infrequently crowed after being caponized but lost interest in the hens, and some crowed and chased the hens acting like they still had all their man parts. All of their combs and wattles got lighter in color and shrank, and they were less active and started to put on weight, but some never un-learned rooster behaviors, like crowing.

If you're planning to caponize older birds, watch the comb and wattles during the procedure. A blue comb will signal the bird is distressed. One can remove the right testicle and wait a week to allow the bird to recover fully before attempting the left side. I know this is time-consuming, but if you are caponizing a rooster that's a pet, this is one way to reduce the risk to the bird.

I'll never understand why you haven't received the 'EDUCATOR' moniker.

The younger the bird is when caponized, the less likely he will crow as an adult.  For me, the ideal age to caponize is between six and eight weeks of age.  I've caponized birds that were a year old, and some stopped crowing within a week.  Others that same age infrequently crowed after being caponized but lost interest in the hens, and some crowed and chased the hens acting like they still had all their man parts.  All of their combs and wattles got lighter in color and shrank, and they were less active and started to put on weight, but some never un-learned rooster behaviors, like crowing.  

If you're planning to caponize older birds, watch the comb and wattles during the procedure.  A blue comb will signal the bird is distressed.  One can remove the right testicle and wait a week to allow the bird to recover fully before attempting the left side.  I know this is time-consuming, but if you are caponizing a rooster that's a pet, this is one way to reduce the risk to the bird.  

Thank you. Last year I did 3 birds, all of them around 12 weeks. No lady chasing, but all three never shut up. So, maybe doing them this week may change things this time around.

I've learned to 'sex' many breeds at 2 to 5 days and I separate them at that time 'til I'm ready to do the deed (at about 6 weeks). I'm not perfect but I'm at least as accurate as most hatcheries.

When I teach someone (my daughter and youngest son, not so long ago), I like to order 15 or 25 Austra-White cockerels from Cackle hatchery. They have never sent me a hen and the birds make pretty good capons and are very easy to deal with. Just MY opinion.

I don't remember if I ever gave an update, so just for good measure here goes! I tried caponizing 10 or so cockerels this spring, the last half with the help of MaggiesDad. In all, I ended up with 3 solid capons. Unfortunately, 1 completely disappeared with no trace of feathers or anything...he may have wandered off and then been picked up by a predator, 1 was killed by my own dog - apparently he decided to spend the night out on the deck, and 1 is still alive and well.

I did manage to salvage most of the one my dog killed - he had just barely gotten ahold of him when I got out there and only the breast showed any sign of trauma. Nothing like skinning a chicken unexpectedly before you leave for work...

My plan was to have the surviving one for Easter but I'm a little attached to the yard art at the moment so he probably has another month or so of life to enjoy. Also I've recently hatched chicks with plans to hatch a batch every 3 weeks so I'm interested to see how he takes to them. He's pretty skittish so he doesn't tend to pose well for pictures, but here he is yesterday in the yard!

My chicks are a week old tomorrow so I'll be dusting my tools off in a few weeks! I should get a ton of practice this summer!

He's so pretty! I can't wait to learn to do this... yard art that moves :)

I've just returned from a 1 1/2 day private lesson. We caponized eleven without any losses. Two were caponized through a single incision. One cockerel was a little droopy the day of and the morning after caponizing. I'm waiting for an update on his condition. I have nine of the eleven here, and they're all on pasture, acting like cockerels. Here's a photo of the group of nine in transit, the day after caponizing. The Australorps are going to be gorgeous. For those who ordered tools: The box arrived today. I'll get everything packed and ready to ship. Look for a message from me tomorrow. If you wanted tools but missed the deadline to order, my next planned order is mid-June. Mark your calendar and send me a PM. <-- Edited to add this note. Thanks : )

Last edited:
Was just cruising Amazon and found the weitlaner retractor (they have them in various sizes, I ordered the 4" one). Also got some scalpel handles and blades, will probably cull a few roos for practice this weekend. They are long overdue anyway. My hens will thank me!

Last edited:
The next capon class is March 16th. The class after that meets on March 19th. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone who signed up. If you need directions or have questions regarding the class, please send me a PM, or you can send an email by using the contact page on my website http://waddlebockfarm.myfreesites.net/ I've got some new video footage to share, and I have an amazing capon chair that students can try. I'm pleased with how well the chair functions, and I'm looking forward to getting everyone's feedback. Remember to bring your headlamp (medical or dental headlamp is best) if you have one. We'll start at 9:00 a.m., I'll provide lunch, and we'll end around 5:00 p.m. Bring a transport cage so that you can take your new capons home with you after class. Please confirm if you are attending the March 16th or March 19th class. I need to be sure I have supplies prepared for everyone.
where did you get this chair?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom