GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Pics
I googled it forever and couldn't find anything, so then I started a thread in the emergency section asking if anyone had a link to a sight that discussed it and someone posted a link, the link does say the benzocaine should be avoided in poultry as they can have a bad reaction to it. Others have posted on BYC of their chickens dieing immediately after a "caine" use and others have used it w/o incident. My take away from all the recent reading I have been doing is it is Russian Roulette to use the "caine" meds. Most times it may have absolutley no negative effects, but when it does it is immediately fatal w/o any chance at fixing it. I personally will not be using the "caines" and will stock non "caine" meds in my chicken first aid kit.

It really struck me the difference in medicating avian vs mammal. To question even the most common OTC first aid meds before use.
Wow I guess I got a lucky chicken. Thanks for looking that up, I will remember that, maybe I should check out petsmart avian section, just to make a first a kit..... that is a really good idea Kassaundra

I read somewhere that chickens' higher body temperature and immune system (that is different from the mammalian immune system) help them heal from injuries faster than a mammal would.

I read somewhere that chickens' higher body temperature and immune system (that is different from the mammalian immune system) help them heal from injuries faster than a mammal would.
i believe it!!
thumbsup.gif

Many of the articles & pamphlets I read suggested using mild/ diluted antiseptics including Lysol of all things many other pieces said nothing in this regard. Most of what I read, at least that which was authoritative was written between 1870 - 1940.It also occurs to me that this procedure is thousands of years old and these types of medications would not have been available for most of that time. When I did my birds, I used some generic antiseptic wipes from the pharmacy just to clean them up where I had stitched them. While the birds have recovered just fine and during yesterday's examination of the flock I was unable to find any evidence of the original procedure in terms of scarring. I had been concerned that especially with the first birds they would have Frankenstein like scars. When their time does come I want the dressed birds to look as good as I hope they will taste. After reading the last few posts I am even more encouraged to try without the sutures. I have some layers coming straight run in a couple of weeks and I intend to caponize the cockerels. I will try to post/ record the procedure from start to finish and do a control with and without sutures & antiseptics.

Many of the articles & pamphlets I read suggested using mild/ diluted antiseptics including Lysol of all things many other pieces said nothing in this regard. Most of what I read, at least that which was authoritative was written between 1870 - 1940.It also occurs to me that this procedure is thousands of years old and these types of medications would not have been available for most of that time. When I did my birds, I used some generic antiseptic wipes from the pharmacy just to clean them up where I had stitched them. While the birds have recovered just fine and during yesterday's examination of the flock I was unable to find any evidence of the original procedure in terms of scarring. I had been concerned that especially with the first birds they would have Frankenstein like scars. When their time does come I want the dressed birds to look as good as I hope they will taste. After reading the last few posts I am even more encouraged to try without the sutures. I have some layers coming straight run in a couple of weeks and I intend to caponize the cockerels. I will try to post/ record the procedure from start to finish and do a control with and without sutures & antiseptics.

Antibiotics weren't even invented till the 40s, so Lysol was probably the drug of choice. My mom was born in 1922, and she thought Lysol was pretty much the go-to medicine for everything. That and tincture of merthiolate. G-d, it's a wonder she didn't kill me with all the mercury!

Back
Top Bottom