Pics
Lol thats awesome, thanks Tesumph :) Your advise is what got us here, and her crazy fighting spirit lol. I'm still really surprised that there's been no serious complications (knock on wood!). I'm really curious, do you know why/how the bone piece that I cut off just fell off? Would an amputated nub normally do that, or maybe that bone wasn't actually connected, maybe it was broken where I couldn't see? I really thought she'd end up with a nub-hole, super happy that its not, but I don't understand why xp
Heres today :)
IMG_2320.JPG

Are you talking about the piece of cut off bone you can see in your first post? Bones aren’t really connected at all. They’re just ball-and-socketed into each other, cushioned by cartilage, and held together by muscles and tendons. If you make a clean break in your arm, you can still flop it around but won’t have ridgidity. Likewise if you were to slice the tendons it would just dangle/quiver with no control. So basically if a bone is bared and totally exposed up to a joint, there’s nothing holding it on but some fibrous tissue clinging to the cartilage, clinging to the other bone.. Once that shrivels up and dies (which wouldn’t take long with no blood supply) it would just fall off.
Not sure if that makes sense or if that what you were asking lol.
I love seeing her little chicken wing updates. Thanks for documenting this.

So cool to see a good use of those funny little diapers! Especially with the kitty - too cute. @Tesumph, so will she actually grow more skin over the wing or will there just be scar tissue? Something else entirely? I'm super interested to know how she'll look fully recovered. Thanks so much, @Raptorchick, for documenting so thoroughly with photos and exactly what you did. I look forward to seeing her as a fully grown lovely lady!

So cool to see a good use of those funny little diapers! Especially with the kitty - too cute. @Tesumph, so will she actually grow more skin over the wing or will there just be scar tissue? Something else entirely? I'm super interested to know how she'll look fully recovered. Thanks so much, @Raptorchick, for documenting so thoroughly with photos and exactly what you did. I look forward to seeing her as a fully grown lovely lady!
Skin will not grow, no. It will probably be light pink shiny tissue that doesn’t stretch much. No feathers either so I guess she’ll either have to wear a permanent modified apron or have regular blu-Kote application.

Day 22 for Raptors wing, day 16 for Duchess :) Medihoney finally arrived, I bought the 1.5oz size (bigger one) and it has a pop-cap lid, actually made it easier to apply.
IMG_2326.JPG
IMG_2328.JPG
IMG_2340.JPG

She/he looks so much like a tiny raptor lol...
Duchess' scabs came off again, the hole completely closed, shes doing awesome..
IMG_2347.JPG

I cover her with stockinette and put her back with my hens, she's always covered in dust from dirt-bathing but the booboo stays clean. I noticed there were big holes in my coop today, I live in rattler country but I've never seen one, we have a bit of a gopher issue. This 4footish big ol guy was waiting for me when I put her back, scared the jeebs outta me !
IMG_2348.JPG

Turns out hes a huge gopher snake, pretty one, this is the best pic I got lol. Are gopher snakes cool with chickens ??

Back
Top Bottom