Grass fed chicken

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by deepakdavid90, Jan 2, 2012.

1. deepakdavid90

deepakdavid90 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2011
    Mukerian,Punjab,India
    my girls are laying and can they be totally fed on grass like berseem clover ,spinach nd grass
    What is the nutritian value of grass fed egg:rolleyes:
    Are they high in omega 3 and lower in omega 6?

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    They'll need more than grass to complete their diet. Chickens need a source of protein such as insects, yogurt, or cooked egg.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    For chickens, pasture is a supplement to their other feed, not a total replacement. Having legumes along with the grass helps, but they need a lot of insects, worms and larvae to replace a formulated feed. If you live in a tropical climate with a lot of insects all year or you have other animals around that they can steal food from, you might be able to get away with not feeding them. For the majority of people, you need to offer a complete feed.

The eggs do have a better fatty acid ratio, better cholesterol numbers and more vitamins in them. Mother Earth News had an article on this and there have been some other studies I've read about online. There's also a lot of information online these days about the nutritional differences in meat from pasture raised animals like beef. If you do a search on the forum and on google, you'll get a lot of information on some of these topics.

The healthier eggs come just from letting them free range. You don't need to restrict their regular feed, to force them to eat green feed. Chickens confined to a run can also benefit from having green feed offered to them.

4. BitsyB

BitsyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern Delaware
  5. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    Keep giving them their feed!!!!!! Grass is just a little bonus treat!

6. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    I read somewhere that chickens would be choice take 20% of their calories from grass. Now I can't find the source.

7. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    I cut bananas & banana leaves for them! Since they ate all the grass in the run. [​IMG]

8. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    If your birds were totally free-ranged on good grass then all they would need is a little (very little) extra feed.

I free range all my young cockerels from age 12 weeks until they don't get along anymore. I give them just enough whole corn to keep them coming to the barn so that I can catch them later. They get what they can clean up in about 1 or 2 minutes. That is it. They have to look and hunt for all the rest of their feed.

They grow extremely well this way.

9. Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by