Grass Growing Back?

Oddyse

Songster
8 Years
May 21, 2011
Bristol
Hey guys, where I have my run for my duck the grass is all getting covered in poop! I obviously know this is to be expected, but will it it ever grow back through? I dont care if it doesnt, it was more for them than me. They dont get to free roam but my run is practically the size of my garden anyway and is plenty big enough! I just like to be safe! Well, any help and advice welcomed! Many thanks in advance!
big_smile.png

Well, it depends on the size of run versus number of ducks, or more fundamentally, the area per duck.

But basically, if you are keeping ducks in anything less than a yard size parcel, say a minimum of 1,000 square feet per a small flock, they'll basically trash the grass in short order. You may want to look into some sort of alternative, like perhaps pea gravel or sand or the deep litter method.

What would pea gravel or sand do? Wouldnt this cause the same problem and eventually just get covered in poo? Another thing, does the poo degrade quick? As I dont want to come out one morning and find a foot of poop!
lol.png
What would you suggest? The area they have is quite large, it could be bigger, but its plenty big enough for them. Thank you PS. Whats the deep litter method?

Quote:
People who use sand rake the poop (what I would imagine as a big littler box???) someone else can probably tell you more.
I use the deep litter method... I have about 6 inches of bedding in the coop and rake it every few days... the poop goes to the bottom leaving clean bedding on top.... the poop will degrade and add to the soil. I haven't had to clean mine out yet as this is my first year with chickens and ducks, but I hear usually 1 or 2x a year ????

I keep my ducks in my fenced backyard during the day. I have 4 and they are on about 1/2 acre. They go into the chicken coop at night by their own choice. I have a little duck house, but they cry to go to the barn at night....

Ducks poo more than chickens in my opinion and the poo is much bigger
ep.gif

I don't think you can do anything without having lots of poo... you just have to find a way to manage it... it you use sand... you can collect it and put it on your flowers/garden... great fertilizer.

I used the old bedding from the brooder on my dahlias... they are growing like crazy now.

If the duck run isn't moved, I don't think the grass will grow back. We have a moveable run for our ducks and when they start digging holes int eh ground and covering the grass with poop, we move it. But lately our ducks have been in their giant new fenced in area, and free range around the yard. That's the best solution to the poop building up.

I dont have a massive garden/yard though, they basically get to use it all anyway. What was suggested above was pea gravel, would they be ok walking on this? As I could rake the pea gravel and let the poop and stuff fall to the bottom then. Also , whilst im here, would they be ok sleeping on the grass? I was considering building a bigger house for them but just build it up from the grass so the grass would be the floor, is this a good OR bad idea? Thank you

If you use sand or gravel, you need to rake it at least daily. With gravel, most people will rake it and then hose it down.

Personally, I use deep litter. As another poster mentioned, I rake it around every couple of days, and topdress it every 5-7 days with another couple of inches. I personally use oak leaves that I gather in the fall and again spring as people clean their yards and put them out at the curb in paper lawn/leaf bags. I've found that oak leaves, being very acidic, stop the odor problem that can happen with straw. I clean out the run 3 times a year, first thing in the spring, mid-summer, and fairly late in the fall, right after Halloween.

Back
Top Bottom