Grass-less Dirty Chicken Run

Best choice - whatever you can get from a tree company chipping stuff from your yard, neighboring yards, or sometimes even for utility maintenance. Depending on your area it may be available for free or for a driver's tip. Be aware they may expect you to take a whole truckload.

You can buy mulch if that's the only option, but it's not as ideal because it's generally shredded more finely and might be dyed.

I signed up for free chips on my PUDs website. They dropped off a load yesterday. It smells like Christmas :) I’m putting it around the outside of the coop because it’s bare dirt and the rainy season is coming, but may throw some inside the run because it’s such good stuff. My husband was really excited about the quality of it and I’m going to sign up for a couple more truckloads. The guy said it was 9 yards per truckload.

EA7D6021-FF04-443F-9E20-34E3224362A3.jpeg

Last edited:
I had sod in my run and it died so now I put chopped straw on it and rake it up once a week I have 11 chickens in my run and it works perfect. They turn the straw when they Peck through it and scratch so keeps it nice and fresh and it's easy to clean up. The chickens love it too and it absorbs great. No smell

Hi!
I have 3, 21 week old hens, (I'm a first time chicken owner) and within the first 2 weeks of them being in their coop and run, they destroyed and ate up all the grass! All that's left is feathers, dirt, and chicken poop. I try to let them out every day to free range for a bit, but I'm worried it's not enough. (Plus, their feet get all dirty when they go back to the run, and it doesn't smell all that great either!!) What do I do? Should I try to free range them more, and give the run floor a break? The coop is right next to my house, so predators aren't a big issue, but it's still a worry I have.
Should I get another attachment run and lock them out of the old one until the grass comes back?
It's really embarrassing to have people come and see the chickens since it looks so gross, and stinks, too.
If you managed to get through all that reading (lol), could you help me? Any suggestions?

I have a 21'x8' run for my flock, open on the top, but 7' walls. With the narrower size of the run that is as wide as my 8'x12' attached shed that is their coop/grow out pen/storage area for their supplies, aerial predators don't have much room for an aerial swoop approach, so I don't worry about that too much. However, any greenery? It doesn't survive. So, we repurpose our own vegetation... wood chips from the trees we've had cut down and had the tree removal company chip up for us, free. Sand from the busted sand bags we buy every year to give us extra traction during the winter months for driving purposes, for dust baths and deep litter in the run. Grass clippings during the summer months that they love to scratch through for bugs and eating purposes, then goes into decomposition for their run, which helps with the decomposition of their poop, turning it all into manure. Then, in the early spring, we rake it out, put it in our raised garden bed as a base, cover that with garden soil, and plant our garden for the season. And start all over again. The plants' roots hit that manure as they grow through the commercial soil, and then take off growing crazy.

It's impossible to keep grass in a chicken run :)
I'm fond of sand since we have it naturally here and it helps dry out the poo for easy raking.
A lot of folks use deep litter and rarely need to clean. Whatever works for you.
Sand is a good option, about 3". Boards around the edge of the run if you don't want sand leaking out. It rakes up really well, and only needs changing infrequently depending upon space-to-bird ratio. You'll need a place to dispose of the sand about every 6-12 months, depending upon how much wet weather you get...my experience was in San Antonio, TX.

Hi!
I have 3, 21 week old hens, (I'm a first time chicken owner) and within the first 2 weeks of them being in their coop and run, they destroyed and ate up all the grass! All that's left is feathers, dirt, and chicken poop. I try to let them out every day to free range for a bit, but I'm worried it's not enough. (Plus, their feet get all dirty when they go back to the run, and it doesn't smell all that great either!!) What do I do? Should I try to free range them more, and give the run floor a break? The coop is right next to my house, so predators aren't a big issue, but it's still a worry I have.
Should I get another attachment run and lock them out of the old one until the grass comes back?
It's really embarrassing to have people come and see the chickens since it looks so gross, and stinks, too.
If you managed to get through all that reading (lol), could you help me? Any suggestions?
Hi!
How big is your current run? If your run is small maybe you need to clean it daily.

I have a mobile coop that I use occasionally, usually when growing up a new flock. But even my heavy stationary coop can be moved with a tractor. Either way, I use portable electric poultry fencing (not always plugged in). I can configure it so they rotate to different areas before decimating one area. I put deep pine flakes on the ground inside the stationary coop.

As others have said you should be able to get wood chips for free from anyone who does tree work. They are often keen to get rid of it if you can take a whole truck load. I have a big heap and get them to deliver a truck load maybe 1-2 times a year.

I have really good luck with that shredded mulch. My pen is covered with it. Yes it needs replenishing about yearly. It is carefree. I don't notice an odor from it and the poop just magically disappears! Makes a pen look good.
That mulch makes excellent compost for the fruit trees!

Back
Top Bottom