Grass seed safe for chickens?

WestNashChick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 16, 2014
Nashville
I have some bare spots in my back yard that are causing me some mud/erosion issues. I was planning on using some kind of grass seed and fertilizer mix. My chickens free range atleast a few hours a day, so I wanted to make sure there isn't anything I shouldn't use. Thanks!

If they can get to it it won't work anyway so as you will have to fence them off for quite a long time for it to establish (the new growth will be super attractive to them) even if there was anything in the fertiliser it will be long gone by then.

I'm seeding a new lawn. Between the chickens, and the flock of up to 20 turkeys who wander through on a daily basis, I've had to seed several areas at least 2 times. I finally got some good growth going on the second seeding, so let the chickens out for a bit of free range time. They immediately uncovered the new growth, and went to town destroying it. So, at this point, I don't think I can let them out into the yard until spring. Good luck. If you're seeding smaller areas, you could close them in with deer netting.

Build some grazing frames to keep them off it.

Make them taller than usual so they can't grab the tips and yank the whole plants out before the roots are well established.

Make them larger than the spot to be seeded so you can sift them around every few days so as not to kill the grass surrounding the area.

Back
Top Bottom