Gray comb on 15 week old Rhode Island Blue

SLA

Songster
Jan 15, 2021
2 of our 8 pullets are Rhode Island Blues. Until 2 weeks ago, their gray comb helped us distinguish them from 2 of our Noir Marans. Well, one of the RIBs now has a nice red comb and growing wattle, but the other still has the gray comb. Her wattle is red, she’s eating fine and her behavior is normal. We’re concerned, though, because we’ve read that the gray comb might be a sign of illness. Any advice?
A4768BFA-5AB9-4AA2-8BD9-29269BD64C4C.jpeg

I believe the time to worry is when a comb WAS red but suddenly goes purple or a dark grey.
It's not a worry if the comb starts off that color and does not go red at all.

Lovely bird by the way.

2 of our 8 pullets are Rhode Island Blues. Until 2 weeks ago, their gray comb helped us distinguish them from 2 of our Noir Marans. Well, one of the RIBs now has a nice red comb and growing wattle, but the other still has the gray comb. Her wattle is red, she’s eating fine and her behavior is normal. We’re concerned, though, because we’ve read that the gray comb might be a sign of illness. Any advice?View attachment 2701946
If she seems fine I wouldn't be concerned maybe she's a mixed breed but I could be wrong. She has a higher chance of being a mixed breed if you bought her from somebody's house than you do with online hatcheries such as Cackle and Murray McMurray.

If she seems fine I wouldn't be concerned maybe she's a mixed breed but I could be wrong. She has a higher chance of being a mixed breed if you bought her from somebody's house than you do with online hatcheries such as Cackle and Murray McMurray.
She is a “production blue”: a combo of Rhode Island Red and Australorp . Mt. Healthy hatchery calls them Rhode Island blues. We live near there, so picked up our chicks the day after they hatched.

Back
Top Bottom